more parent involement

How do you get the parents of our den to be more involved in their sons den. We recently had a service projest which the boys were supposed to bring in a baby item to be donated to a place to homeless moms. I could have died when over half the parents brought in used and i mean USED baby items. This projuect was for them to earn their beltloop. One parent even brought in a toy that was falling apart. Now the boys and parents were told that it was for the boys to do as it was for their beltloop not the parents. Two out of the 9 boys actually bought the item with their own money. The DL counted that all the boys did their service project but if it was up to me they wouldnt have earned it unless they did it themselves right? or am I being to hard on them, they are wolves. The only time the parents get involved is when they will actually have fun like the B&G or going to some outing. but its like pulling teeth to get them to anything for the den meetings. Have asked many times for simple items like milk cartons, paper towel rolls to do projects with their boys so that they may complete an achievement or elective. but no one ever brings anything.

Does the DL want more parent involvement?

Some DL want that, some would prefer that the parents just drop the scouts off and pick them up. I think it is a matter of the DL communicating with the den parents what she expects from them. This could be done at the next den meeting, while the assistant den leader does something with the scouts. At this age, each parent has their own preconcieved ideas of what scouting is about. To some it is a babysitting service, to others it is a chance for their son to have some independence out of the house, to still others it is an activity to be shared. By taking the time to explain the den leader's expectations for the parents upfront, everyone can hopefully get on the same page.

As far as the service project. Its not clear from your post as to what had been communicated (new versus used) to the den. Even if it was communicated clearly in writing or speech, you will find that many folks simply do not take the time to read or listen. This seems especially prevalent in scouting for some odd reason (insert smiley thingy here).

I agree with Semper. It seems like communication (or the lack of) is one of your Den's main problems.

I have found that repetition, a lot of it, in various different forms, is often needed with families. A Den newsletter, verbal reminders to boys, to adults (grab everyone as they come to pick up son), e-mail. If there is a special activity coming up reminders need to start about 3 weeks earlier.

As Semper asked, was the project clearly, & in writing, explained to the boys & their families? How would you go about determining which boys did the project all by themselves & which had help? If the boy brought in something & said he did it himself how could you tell him he didn't? The only way to be sure that the project was done by the scouts was to do it in a den meeting. For instance, each family could have been charged a specific amount, fleece purchased, & then small blankets & caps made at a meeting. Or the boys could have sponsored a drive at their school, made handouts & collected the products.

If repeated requests for a item get no results then the boys should be told that such & such activity will not be done due to the fact they never brought in the needed items. If this happens often enough maybe the boys will remember to remind their parents.

Your Den Leader needs to communicate her needs better & more often.

I am editor of our pack newsletter, which comes out once a month, and has info on everything we're doing for the following month. I also print a notice for our den that I hand out at each den meeting, that has all the pack activities and den assignments on it until the next meeting. In addition, for pack activities and important den information, I send one or two e-mails. There are still some parents who don't know what's going on, but most do.