Webelos to Boy Scout Question

have a den of Webelos that have earned about 1/2 of the Webelos requirements. They might be eligable (sp?) to move up to Boy Scouts sooner than 2 yrs that the Webelos program allows. My question is, I have 1 boy who is 9 yr. He will be ten this summer. He has a late b'day in the summer. He's younger than the rest of the boys but is right there with them and doing as well or better than some on the requirements. I know that I have heard requirements to move up is 11 yr and/or passed the 5th grade which this boy will do neither. I was just wondering what would happen with this child if he completes the requirements just like the rest of the boys. Will he be able to move up or will he have to stay behind and do nothing?

Scout may register as a boy scout if has earned the Arrow of Light award (or turn 11 years old or complete 5th grade). Earliest that AOL can be earned is six months after completing the fourth grade (or 6 months after turning 10). If the scout completed the fourth grade last summer then there would be no problem with his crossing over with the rest of the den assuming the AOL is earned. If not, then he would have to wait until he meets the joining requirements. I would caution against crossing over too soon - most troops are not in position to accept crossovers until February (at B&G's) or Spring. Also, if there is another Webelos den you want to coordinate with them so it doesn't look like you are blowing out early and leaving them behind. There is something to be said for just savoring your last few months of cub scouting before moving onto boy scouts.

I agree with SemperParatus. Don't rush it. It's really a 1 1/2 year program, and you should have plenty of stuff to fill the time. For those that are really out in front, challenge them to earn all of the activity pins. We did that with a couple of boys last year that were way ahead.

I also echo the part about troops being ready. Most troops offer a "new scout program" or "First Class/First Year". The focus is to help the transition into the boy scout program, which is quite different from Cubs. At the end of that year, the boys are (should be) well trained boy scouts. Most Scoutmasters (including myself) are stressed right now, trying to get our current first year scouts ready to be "second year scouts", and thus ready to help train and teach your boys coming up. Moving them up early would create chaos in many troops, especially if another group is coming up in the Spring.

Just my $.02

Thanks for your replies. We're not that close to crossing over. We've been in the Webelos den 6 month and have earned about an average of 9 pins a boy. I know that there is 20 pins total and before they cross they'll have to earn most of them and do the requirements for aol. I have also been slowing them by earning belt loops mentioned in the pin requirements. That way we can get more out of our time spent in the den their Webelos year. Most of the boys hadn't earned many if any belt loops and they are enjoying getting these. Thanks to both SemperParatus (you must be a Marine! My dad served as a Marine.) and EagleInKy. The boy that I was talking about was my own. I had to put him back into 1st grade. I was allowed to let him progress in rank as the CM said that he saw no reason to hold him back as long as he could do the same work as the other boys.

Wow, 9 pins in 6 months. That's a lot (IMHO). We were lucky to get one done a month. Sounds like you're really pushing the boys. Take your time, have fun, pursue some other activities. Hook up with a Boy Scout troop in the spring to do an activity. Don't burn them (or you) out.

EagleInKy:

It does seem like a lot, but the boys (I only have 4) went to a Webelos Overnighter this summer that covered quite a bit of stuff. Then we had some pack overnighters this summer that we got other stuff covered with. Then we had a day on the river with a group that takes care of our water system here. It's just been a good 6 months of opportunities for the boys. I hadn't planned on having such good things to get the boys to and earn their pins at the same time. I'm sure the next pins won't be as easy.

Tracy