Preparing Webelos for Boy Scouts

I am looking for the opionon of some Boy Scout leaders as to what I should emphisize and spend the most time on in preparing my Webelos for crossing over. I know the Arrow of Light requirements, but what knowledge/skills are most important for these boys to have to help them get a good start in Boy Scouting?

Second question -- do you loose a lot of new (boy) scouts after summer camp. The last two years, the majority of boys who crossed over in Feburary from our Pack, quit Boy Scouts shortly after attending summer camp. They all had camping experinece and in fact had a blast at cub scout camp. When I asked some of the parents as to why the quit, they said either summer camp was either too much work, or too little to do and they got homesick. Do the boys get too much fun at Cub camp and find the scout camp too dull by comparision, or is a week just too long for some 11 year old boys? I remember having a blast at Boy scout camp, but we didn't have Cub camp back then so I had nothing to compare it to.

Eagle309 - I don't know if it is the skills as much as the social pressure and culture change that Boy Scouting brings. Moving from a parent-led to a boy-led operation can be a real culture shock. Meetings are much more like organized chaos (and sometimes, unorganized chaos :)).

You can certainly work to strengthen their fundamental scout skills (knot-tying, fire starting, hiking, etc.), but I would focus on preparing them for boy-leadership. First, I would make sure I had a Den Chief from the Boy Scouts. Let this boy lead!!! Second, get them involved with the troop. Start small - a day hike, a troop meeting, or just visit on a campout. Then do an overnighter. Parther with them at Scouting for Food or on a Service Project. Allow them to get to know the older boys over time.

When I was a Cubmaster, we were seeing a very high drop-out rate of the scouts that graduated from our pack. I never got an accurate count, but I believe less than 25% were lasting one year! We took a look at the programs and decided to start our own troop. Here are some of the things we found.

1) We did not have a troop that we were closely associated with. Most of the boys went to one of two troops in the area. A small percentage wandered off to other troops that may have been closer to their home or at their church. This meant that our boys were going into a situation where they would be with 1 or 2 of their buddies from Webelos, and grouped in with a patrol of boys that already knew each other. They were essentially "outsiders" from the start, and had trouble breaking in. Therefore, I encourage your boys to try to graduate up as a group, whenever possible.

2) The troops did not have a strong first year scout program. Whether they use NSPs or not, a strong First Year program will help them succeed, not only at Summer Camp, but in their years ahead as well. Take a look and see what you find. We found one troop that ran an "advancement factory" that got them to First Class in a year, and another that treated First Year scouts as indentured servants. It's no wonder boys hated scouts after a few months. So, I would look for a troop that offers a strong FY program, and demonstrates a high retention % of their first year scouts. Ask them how many first year scouts recharter with them the second year.

EagleinKY gave you excellent advice. I will second the importance of getting a den chief. We had one when I was still a Webelos leader. All of the boys crossed over into the troop that had supplied the den chief. The other den didnt have one. Only one of those boys crossed over probably because he had a brother who was already in the troop. Our den chief left such an impression that two of the boys that he led are now den chiefs, recruiting more Webelos into the troop.

Another bit of advice I would give is to attend Webelos Woods (WW). Troops should be inviting you as a means for recruitment. They should present a program during WW that gives the Webelos a taste of some of the skills that are important in Boy Scouts. While at the WW activity, visit different troops, and ask about retention rates, if its truly a boy-led troop, etc. Ask if they have an active Troop Guide program for the new scouts. Do as many troop/den activities as you can with troops in your area, and you will see what the different troops are doing. Troops should be actively recruiting you. If they are not, in my mind, it raises a bit of a red flag. Also, go to Roundtables and get to know some of the other leaders (Webelos and Boy Scouts) and compare notes.

Our Webelos den has been having a great year using these tips:

1. graduate up to the tan uniforms - we did this as a den when everyone earned their Webelos rank badge.

2. become a patrol - let the scouts come up with a fun name, a yell, and a flag. Get the patrol patches on their tan uniforms.

3. start integrating boy-leadership - we have one scout as the patrol leader (denner) at each meeting. He leads an opening game, flag ceremony, introduces the presenter, and closes the meeting. It gives responsibility and gets them used to following other boys.

4. encourage the scouts to come to you with their handbook for sign-offs of activity badge requirements. This gets them used to using their Boy Scout handbook correctly.

5. work with the scouts to plan 3 or more patrol outings such as hikes, picnic, bike ride, ... These should be their ideas and discuss as a group what is needed (food, clothes, gear) for success. For example, we are going to watch the lunar eclipse this Wednesday as a patrol.

Paul

Here is my advise.

Give them the best Cub Program you can. Get them hooked on scouting. As Webelos help them through good palnned programs to get to Arrow of Light.

Take them on two oe three Den campouts but do not try to make them Boy Scouts on them. No back packing, have the parents cook let the boys help. Make sure they have a comfortable sleeping environment and mild weather.

Show them that they can have fun away out in the woods. Show them the plants and animals and wonder of nature.

Get involved early with a scout unit that uses the New Scout Patrol and First Class Emphasis program elements. Have an adult leader from that unit visit from time to time to help teach some of the AOL requirements and camp skills.

Try to get a good Den Chief to help be an ambassador of the Scouting program.

Have fun.

B:)b White

mn_scout,

I like your list a lot! Now that my boys are in Webelos I, I've tried to increase the amount of leadership they are asked to show.

While the parents are still very much involved and hands-on, the boys are leading small sections of meetings and, as a group, becoming very involved in making decisions for field trips/activities. They thrive on it.