Treasurer Question

Our pack is growing which is good. I recently found out that our treasurer has not and will not record who has paid dues or who has paid registration or who has paid anything. He says his job is only to collect and disperse money not to track dues. Unfortunately the den leaders haven't been tracking dues but most of the annual dues and registration are paid at the first of the year pack meeting. He does not partici

When I served on the Church Council, we had a Financial Secretary and a Treasurer. Two different people. Counting and handling the money and checkbook was never done by the same people who kept the accounting books. I believe that was a requirement of the liability bond. So, your situation does not seem out of the ordinary to me. The problem is that someone needs to be assigned to keep the records (Pack Secretary/Troop Scribe)...and that person is not necessarily the Treasurer, whose job it is to maintain the checkbook and approve expenditures and pay the bills. To simplify...keeping track of income should probably be a different job than keeping track of and approving spending.

In those units which feel compelled to amass large 5-figure treasuries for no obvious reason (we have a few), this can be an important issue.(This message has been edited by scoutldr)

Nothing can spin a unit out of control faster than the impression of financial favoritism or impropriety. This is everyones job!!

When your DLs transfers money to the Treasurer, they both need to know what that money was for and whos money it was. The treasurer needs to record that information as he/she received the money. In this country we call it checks and balances. To do anything less is suicidal.

Conversely, when the Treasurer writes a check, he darn well better be recording what the money is being used for.