How do I become a Pack Trainer?

As part of my Wood Badge ticket, I am supposed to become Pack Trainer; the idea being that if new leaders are trained earlier, then our retention rate will improve. Well, our district doesn't offer such training (according to the schedule) and even if it did, it would come too late to make any impact. I am checking around other districts in our council, but in the meantime, has anyone taken this training? I am surprised at the number of blank look I get when I ask about this training.

Thanks,

Mike

Here are some links for you.

http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/pt.html

The virtual cub scout leader handbook is a great resource.

http://www.geocities.com/~pack215/home.html

It is my understanding that this position is now required for your pack. I am surprised that your council does not offer it. Try contacting your Council Training Committee Chairman to get specific information.

I found this on the Great Salt Lake Council website:

Less than half of the registered leaders in Cub Scout packs have completed basic training for their positions. To improve this record, the Cub Scout position of pack trainer is being introduced.

The pack trainer:

Qualifications: If residing in this country but not a citizen of the United States, agrees by the Scout Oath and Law, to respect and obey the laws of the United States of America, and to subscribe to the BSA statement of religious principle. Is at least 21 years of age, and is registered with BSA as a pack trainer. It is recommended that the pack trainer have at least one year of experience in a leadership position in Cub Scouting, preferably as a Cub Scout or Webelos den leader. Pack trainers should be trained at a district or council trainer development conference. The pack committee selects the pack trainer with the approval of the charter organization. For new packs and those lacking experienced leaders, an experienced leader from the district training team or another pack may be appointed as pack trainer until the new leaders gain experience.

Responsibilities: The pack trainer is responsible for:

Conducting orientation of new families and new pack leaders.

(See Chapter 10, "Den and Pack Management," Cub Scout Leader Book.)

Training each new leader and pack committee member for his or her specific position, using material provided by the BSA.

Helping with Unit Leadership Enhancements during pack leaders' meetings.

Conducting other training as designated by the district and or council.

Encouraging pack leaders to attend ongoing training, such as roundtable, pow wow or University of Scouting, outdoor training, Youth Protection training, and Wood Badge.

Remaining current with training material and program updates.

Keeping track of pack training records.

The goal of the pack trainer is to have 100 percent of the pack leadership trained in their position responsibilities. New leaders and adult families should receive orientation within one week of joining the pack, and leaders should receive position-specific training within 30 days.

Taken from the Cub Scout Leader Book, 2001.

It says your training would be TDC (Trainers Development Conference) I'm sure your council runs one every other year or so.

Hope this helps.

Dancin

Pack Trainer is a unit position just as any other aduklt leadership position in a Pack. All you need to do is register in a pack as the Pack Trainer. The responsibilities begin with getting all new leaders in that Pack to view the fast start video for their Pack position, encouraging them to complete their basic training in the first weeks of taking their position, promoting attendance at District at Council training events.

Depending on the decision of your local District/Council Training committee you may have the ability to present other basic training courses to the adult leaders in your unit. Check with you local Training committee chairperson for local information.

Good luck, have a good time as you work your ticket.

BW

Hey Bob,

I thought I saw something recently that says the Pack Trainer position is required for Family Camping activities and that this person must be trained. Any info on this?

There is no training course for the pack trainer. Like Bob said, it is a leadership position within the Pack. You should plan to take the Trainer Development Conference through your council. Work with your district training chair.