Webelos 1 and 2 meeting together?

Has anyone mixed the Webelos 1 and 2 in the same den before? We are facing that possibility. The Webelos 1 den has only 3 boys in it, none of the parents are interested in being a leader. I spoke with the DE about having them join with my Webelos 2 den. We would still be separate dens, but working together. The DE thinks it would be fine. I just wondered if any of you have done it and how it worked out. Thanks!

It can be done I suppose but it will be difficult considering the new Webelos advancement requirements. You will need two programs, and that being the case you might as well have two dens.

The new Webelos will need to be working toward their Webelos Badge, while the older Webelos will be working on Compass Points and Arrow of Light.

Since these achievements require the completion of two different sets of advancement elements, running the two dens together will be difficult tosay the least.(This message has been edited by Bob White)

It can be done I suppose but it will be difficult considering the new Webelos advancement requirements. You will need two programs, and that being the case you might as well have two dens.

The new Webelos will need to be workjng toward their Webelos Badge, while the older Webelos will be working on Compass Points and Arrow of Light.

Since these achievements require the completion of two different sets of advancement elements, running the two dens together will be difficult tosay the least.

The new Webelos will need to be workjng toward their Webelos Badge, while the older Webelos will be working on Compass Points and Arrow of Light.

Since these achievements require the completion of two different sets of advancement elements, running the two dens together will be difficult tosay the least.

There is no requirement that Webelos Is and IIs be in separate dens, although that is obviously the much preferred way to go. I don't think the difference in the new and old requirements is going will be a huge obstacle. Besides, the new requirements kicked-in this time last year. Your WIIs should have started using the new requirements then.

The greater difficulty is programming around the activity pins the first year boys need but the second year boys already have. Citizen is probably the primary one to worry about. Fitness, the other WAP required for the Webelos badge, is largely done with the family so it isn't as great a problem.

The trick will be to sit down and go through the advancement records and come up with a progam that meets the needs of both groups.

As far as I knew, my den is allowed to use the old book till they are done. The Webelos 1 den will have to use the new book.

In discussing this with the DE, here is what we figured. They can be 2 dens within a den, if that makes sense. Two patrols, but meeting as one. They can work on activity badges with us, and much of the stuff we do will count for something we have already earned. They will have to split off to work on Webeols rank req's or do at home.

I have NO idea what would happen the next year if they are still in the same predicament. Meet with the NEW Webelos? Where does it end? But then again, we just had a year where there were NO Webelos to graduate. I do NOT want to see this happen again.

Has anyone actually had this scenario? Or are we the lucky ones? :)

Actually, even the Webelos I's can use the old book (it isn't mandatory until Aug 2005). You probably won't find copies though. Be sure to look for areas where both can work. For example, the Citizen badge is now a requirement for the Webelos rank. So if the Webelos II's haven't earned that one yet, both groups can work together.(This message has been edited by molscouter)