stock car pinewood derby race

Sandy,

We have a pack of about 30 boys in a small town of about 1500. I am the Cubmaster for our Pack and I don't get too picky with the rules. Most of the boys eventually come by my house to have their cars cut out and end up painting them there and I end up putting on the wheels. So I have not only inspected them I also help them build them. This arrangement usually works well except my son's car in not done until the day before the race because I have been busy with everyone's cars. He doesn't mind because I set aside one evening to work on his. Since we are in a small town we make the PWD a community event. We sell hot dogs and such as a fund raiser at the race. I usually have the 4 classes for the cub scouts and an open class for everyone else. I searched the internet and found a chart system that works for us low tech types. Here is the web address http://members.aol.com/standcmr/ppngen.html Overall everyone has a good time and are not that competitive. This year we had a test and tune the night before. We let the boys send their cars down the track all evening. I figured they bought the track they might as well use it. We are fairly informal and just have a good time.

We ran our Derby this past Saturday at the local Fire House. It was great!

In past years my pack used our beat-up old 4 lane wooden track and ran the derby as a Pack night activity, in the single elimination format. Most of the kids only got to race in one race. It stunk! Most of the leaders were more interested in getting it over with, than with the kids having fun. Half of the kids (and parents) never saw their car run. So last year, with the support of our Cubmaster and bunch or parents, we devised a plan to upgrade the Derby.

We did a number Show & Sell popcorn fundraisers, and with the help of one of our parents, we purchased a Best-Track 6 lane aluminum track, MicroWizard timer and Derby Master software. The hall was decorated with all sorts of racing stuff. Pennants, flags, posters, you name it we collected it. The only thing we were missing was NASCAR race car outside the building.

The races started at 10:00 with the dens having a staggered arrival time on the hour. Each boy got to race in at least 4 races. The top three finishers in each den moved on the the pack finals. Larger dens were split in two so that more kids could advance. The Pack finals were held at around 2:00 and also ran with multiple rounds. We awarded ribbons to everyone; participation ribbons went to all the boys, win - place - show ribbons to the top three finishers in each den, and small medals to the top finishers in the pack.

We sold food, and had games and crafts to keep the kids busy when they werent racing. Unfortunately, many of the folks came and went during the day with only the core group of Pinewood Derby fanatics staying for the whole day!

It really did turn out be the marquee Cub Scout event that Pinewood Derby ought to be. Even more so than Blue and Gold, this is the one event that draws friends and neighbors, grandparents and great-grandparents. Everyone has a story, and everyone remembers the Derby from their own days as a Cub Scout or Cub Scout sibling.

Everyone had a great time. No arguments, no disputes, no questions about the race results. For the guys running the race it was stressless! If any of you are thinking about buying a timer and software package, I would strongly advise you to go ahead and buy it. You cant imagine how much more fun it was for us, because of the timer and softeware.

Hi Everyone- Thanks for all of the ideas. We had our Pinewood Derby this weekend. I did the round Robin style. The kids had a great time. They loved it because they got to race quite a bit. Thanks again for all of your ideas. I guess I was nervous for nothing.

• 1 year later...

>SR540Beaver wrote:

The car that my son and I are finishing for our derby this weekend is cut so that each wheel has independent suspension for a smooter ride. The body is only about 3/8ths of an inch high. Springs are not allowed in pine cars, but this design actually uses cuts in the wood to make a suspension system. <

Since I would never be close enough to race against you would you mind telling me how you do this and if it helps? Would love to show the boys how that works! Very educational idea.

Kristi