"Bear"y confusing : Bear Handbooks question

A question came up during a meeting with one of our den leaders tonight, and I'd like to be very certain we have the correct understanding of the Bear books. Most boys have the newer version; one or two have the older one. All are excited about earning Bear next month and then on working on arrow points. So here's the concern:

On page 10 of the older Bear book, I read this:

"Also, any achievement requirements that a boy did not use to earn the Bear badge can be used as electives toward arrow points."

Compared to page 6 of the new version, where I read this:

"Achievements that were not used to earn the Bear badge may be used as electives. However, note that unused parts of achievements that were used for the Bear badge may not be counted toward arrow points."

Now, in the past, we have used those "extra" achievement requirements toward arrow points. That was the goal set by the den leader for this year, but that was prior to the release of the new books. Since the families buy the books and we were unaware of this particular change, it caught us offguard. Are we correct in understanding that once a boy begins his Arrow Point Trail, he may use requirements from totally undone achievements only? And must he complete the entire achievement to earn one elective on his arrow point trail?

Thanks! I know this may sound like a "duh" question, but we really want to be clear on this. Sometimes another person confirming things helps :)

Interesting. I'm just a "Bear dad" this year and haven't paid that much attention to the details yet, especially as to arrowpoints.

In the past, if you completed requirements 3a, b, c and j and counted them towards the Bear rank, you could then complete 3d, e, f, g, h and i toward an arrowpoint. That's not allowed now. But if you use achievements 3, 4 and 5 for the Bear award, the individual requirements for achievements 6 and 7 for arrowpoints.

You have a dilemma! Since most of your boys seem to have new book, I would opt to follow that instruction for all of the boys. In fairness, I think that this would be the best way to go. Be certain to explain to the parents that the program changed and these are the new rules. Since its only December and your boys will be earning their badges, you still have plenty of time to load up on arrow points, using all the other electives in the book.