Patrols grouped by age - Pros/Cons

KL,

Thanks for chiming in. Hadn't thought about philosophical continuation of Den structure - great analogy!

IMHO, a change like this is a fundamental shift of the program and is beyond scope of PLC's authority. It's a boy-led program but SM is responsible for executing the program approved by CC.

Mike F,

Same age patrols are virtually unheard of over here so I'm not so sure about the "wide-spread use throughout scouting". Personally I used it once only to get a large intake through the first (tenderfoot type) level in short time (6 weeks; in accordance with our National policy).

I agree that leading peers is the hardest form of leadership regardless of age. But age is not the key me thinks - IMHO experience is the key.

Our Troops are not allowed to be larger than 48. I cannot imagine 120!

ozemu,

Please forgive my boorish US-centric view widespread use throughout US is what I should have said Your comments about peer leadership and experience are on the mark. Same for troop size I cant think of any advantages to huge size. 48 is great.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive. So far havent heard from anyone who successfully uses same-age patrols for the entire troop (i.e., not just for first year, or as an option to existing traditional patrols), but I still hope to.