Awards question

I would like to begin recognizing our boys for special things. For instance, we had our first fundraiser, and one family even put off vacation to take part in it. The boys did a great job, and I'd like to recognize them. Then there are those that made every summer event, and since our pack did not have a July event (3 June events and 1 August to date), we don't qualify for National Summertime Award. I was hoping to qualify so that it would get others excited about summer activities. In lieu of that, what would be appropriate? Or is making up our own awards and/or certificates inappropriate? We've little funds to work with, so free is best, but I'm thinking of ways to best encourage and build up our boys. TIA!

By all means make up your own awards. The Cub Scout Leader How To Book has some great ideas or you can come up with your own. Each year at our last pack meeting I present all the boys with a certificate printed up on my computer recognizing them for something, weither it be achieving their rank, helping others, or anything I can come up with. I get the parents to help come up with something and the boys get a kick out of seeing what their award will be for this year

Boys love awards and prizes. The following craft is good for Bear age boys. I collected the metal tops of orange juice "cans" (cardboard center, metal ends). Then I gave each boy a wooden board (safe surface) a small nail and a hammer. The boys would make "medals" out of the lids by forming letters (1st, 2nd, TOPS, #1, etc.) by punching out holes in the lid. Afterward, I punched a bigger hole in the top (bigger nail) and then added a ribbon so it could be hung around the neck. The boys had fun making and wearing them (you don't wear the one you made).

One note of caution, the back surface can sometimes have sharp edges so I would glue a "virgin" lid on the back.