Quality Unit

Our pack recently qualified as a 2002 Quality Unit and we are going to be giving out the actual emblems and pins at our next pack meeting. I'm so excited :-) Question.... Can/should we present an emblem/pin to the newest recruits? For example out Tigers or Bears who joined in October? They are now on charter for 2002 and we qualified for 2002 even though they were really not part of the program when we met the qualifications. Thanks for the help!

Just as the Scout uniform promotes the program to all who see it, the Quality Unit patch lets all know that your UNIT qualified for the year on the patch. If you can afford the patches, I'd issue one to all on the roster. Also, the patches for the recharter you just completed will say "2003" on them...will a Scout who joined in 2002 and contributes to the program have to wait until the 2004 patches come out? If you get the Quality Unit streamer for your troop/pack flag, you don't remove it when the next new Scout joins who didn't actually contribute to the award.

We issue Quality Unit patches to everyone when they join.

KS

The patch is worn to reflect the UNIT's achievement, not the individual's. Issue it to everyone, get 'em all thinking that quality unit is a big deal and it's their job to get it again!

Our pack just gives 'em out - but I think a little more ceremony is appropriate. And individual efforts can be recognized too - like den leaders who go to training. Sure, they should be recognized for attending training for its own sake - but you can reinforce the association between training and a Quality program by making the association to Quality Unit.