Cub Scout Leave No Trace Award

Have you heard about this one? It can be earned by Cub Scouts (tigers, wolves, bears and webelos) and by Cub Scout leaders.

My local council has flyers, your's may as well. You can also download the flyer at http://www.cubpack175.org/LeaveNoTrace.htm

Here are the basics:

Cub Scout Leave No Trace Front Country Guidelines

1. Plan ahead proper clothing, sunscreen, drinking water, use the buddy system.

2. Stick to the trails

3. Manage your pet keep your pet on a leash and clean up after it.

4. Leave what you find do not pick flowers or plants. Use established restrooms.

5. Respect other visitors

6. Trash your trash pack it in, pack it out

For Cubs to earn the award:

1. Discuss with your leader or parent/guardian the importance of the Leave No Trace frontcountry guidelines.

2. On three separate outings practice the frontcountry guidelines of Leave No Trace.

3. Tigers complete Acheivement 5, Wolves complete Requirement 7, Bears complete Requirement 12, and Webelos earn the Outdoorsman activity badge.

4. Participate in a Leave No Trace-related service project.

5. Promise to practice the Leave No Trace frontcountry guidelines by signing the Cub Scout Leave No Trace Pledge.

6. Draw a poster to illustrate the Leave No Trace frontcountry guidelines and display it at a pack meeting.

For Cub Scout Leaders to earn the award:

1. Discuss with your dens Cub Scouts or your pack leaders the importance of the Leave No Trace frontcountry guidelines.

2. On three separate outings demonstrate and practice the frontcountry guidelines for Leave No Trace.

3. Participate in presenting a den, pack, district or council awareness session on Leave No Trace frontcountry guidelines.

4. Participate in a Leave No Trace-related service project.

5. Commit yourself to the Leave No Trace frontcountry guidelines by signing the Cub Scout Leave No Trace Pledge.

6. Assist at least three boys in earning Cub Scoutings Leave No Trace Awareness Award.

The Cub Scout Leave No Trace Pledge Card is printed on the brochure. It says I promise to practice the Leave No Trace frontcountry guidelines wherever I go: 1) Plan ahead 2) Stick to trails 3) Manage your pet 4) Leave what you find 5) Respect other visitors 6) Trash your trash.

The best way to find out what qualifies as a LNT-service related project is to go to www.lnt.org. If you can get 60% of your active registered scouts and scouters involved in the service project, you can also qualify for the unit William T. Hornaday Award as well. Any LNT project that improves the land that you are taking care of by following the 7 principles of Leave No Trace would qualify for the award. Some are easier to plan a project for, but here are some guidelines you should follow:

1. Plan Ahead and Prepare

2. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces

3. Dispose of Waste Properly

4. Leave What You Find

5. Minimize Campfire Impacts

6. Respect Wildlife

7. Be Considerate of Other Visitors

I hope this helps you with your projects... good luck...

Dale

What the Cub Scouts learn is different than what the Boy Scouts learn about LNT. This new award for the Cubs is for "frontcountry" not "back country". It doesn't talk about camping or campfires.

A few thoughts I have are:

Clean up trash in a park.

Get trash containers installed in a park.

Create posters or flyers to educate others.

• 2 weeks later...