Arrow of Light award

One of our Webelo II's leaders, who just joined our Pack, asked me the following question about the Arrow of Light award. Her boys have already completed all the requirements for this award and, I believe she said, completed every single badge possible. She has taken them to a Boy Scout meeting and she doesn't think any of them are going to go on to Boy Scouting for various reasons (there are 4 of them).

She's not planning on having anymore meetings after December and, therefore, sees no reason to ask the parents to pay the registration fee for next year. (Our Charter is January through December.)

If all of this is true, can we award them the Arrow of Light at our December Pack meeting? She believed that it has to be done at the Blue & Gold in February. Are their special circumstances or ceremonies that must be done?

Let me explain a little further, the Pack that she and her boys were originally part of has gone inactive. All of the dens from that Pack have joined our Pack. I don't think she was entirely happy about it.

You can award any advancement award as soon as the requirements are completed. It's unfortunate that none of the Webelos are looking to cross into Boy Scouting. It would be a good idea for someone other than the den leader to contact the boys and find out if this is true and why.

Bob White

Thanks, that's what I thought, but I did forget about the 6 month after 4th Grade part. Some of the kids are homeschooled so it could have been a point of contention, I suppose.

I'm, also, surprised and disappointed that they aren't going to continue Scouting. I didn't have my wits about me to ask her at the time. I'll see what I can do about having someone find out.

The requirement states "at least six months since completing fourth grade OR FOR AT LEAST SIX MONTHS SINCE BECOMING 10 YEARS OLD.

After they have completed the first five requirements for AOL, have they talked to a SM? Have they talked to the Webelos Den leader about their interest in becoming a Boy Scout?

It is recommended, not required, that the boys DO NOT complete AOL early. If the boys do not recharter, they can't earn the AOL in February, They will not be BSA members at that time.

janssenil

Many home schooled boys do great in Boy Scouting because the programs and merit badge studies and requirements work well in aiding the planning of the curriculum. Show the Mother the advancement requirements and a list of merit badges. Scouting is also a great way for the boys to develop social skills and to meet other youth, not to mention it's great fun.

Hang in there,

Doug

I am uncomfortable to hear of a den leader speaking for these scouts and their families. Her opinion is just that, her opinion. Frankly, she is speaking out of turn. These scouts and their families need to be given the opportunity to make that decision for themselve.

I agree that the boys are eligible for their AOL awards in December, provided they have completed the requirements. However, the Cubmaster or Advancement Chair (me!) signs the report, which certifies that the scouts are entitled to the awards. I strongly suggest that pack leadership review the handbooks to make sure of this. Be sure to present this not as a criticism of the den leader, but as a requirement for all tranferring Webelos 2s.

That being said, I also encourage your pack leadership to immediately come up with a plan to keep these boys registered. Announce at this month's pack meeting an early bird registration special - every family that turns in their son's fees that night get some incentive - a can of popcorn, half off the fees, a free subscription to Boy's Life - whatever your pack can afford.

Then the pack leadership should encourage them to cross-over with the rest of the Webelos 2 later in the year. They should go on as many troop activities as possible before they are awarded their AOL. Camporees, cabin camping, sledding, visiting meetings at different troops. Contact the neighboring troops' leaders now and get them involved! Don't wait until after New Year's!

If you want to further discuss strategies for maximizing W2 retention and cross-over, please contact me via the PM function (located in the upper right hand corner of my post). YIS