electives for wolfs

My den leaders are having some confusion about how electives work for wolves in their dens. In their book the dirctions aren't very clear. It says "Fill in 10 arrowheads to get a Gold Arrow point. Fill in 10 more arrowheads for each addition Silver Arrow heads." How does this work? Do they need to complete a elective section all the way or can they do some from each elective to get the gold and silver? How many can they earn in all? Signed confused????

They do not have to do all requirements under one section. The point is to get boys to try different things. The 10 electives for an arrow point can be 10 completely unrelated requirements.

They can earn one gold arrow point and as many silver arrow points as they have time for.

There are 115 electives to choose from in the Wolf book. So a boy could earn 1 gold and 10 silver arrows if he was busy.

Does that make sense?

One more little tid bit ... a wolf or bear may not be awarded his gold arrow for electives until he has been awarded his wolf or bear rank. He can work on his elective at any time before he has earned his wolf or bear rank; however, the book suggests that "completing electives for Arrow Points generally should wait until after he has earned his Wolf Badge." Something that a lot of my den leaders tend to forget.

One more little tidbit. At training we were told the boys can actually earn an infinite number of arrow points because, each time they repeat an elective they've already done, it qualifies again. Actually, one of the trainers was 'kind of' complaining because she's seen kids with Arrow Points 'practically around their waists' because they kept repeating one or two electives. Personally, I think it's fair for a DL to put a limit on how many can be earned for the same thing, but.......

Can you provide a reference regarding earning infinite arrow points? The Wolf book is somewhat ambiguous.

Page 8 - "He can earn as many Silver Arrow Points as he wants until he completes the second grade (or turns 9)."

Page 103 - "Fill in this arrow point when you have done it. With your first ten filled-in arrow points you can get your GOLD Arrow Point; ten more gives you a SILVER Arrow Point;..."

The first would indicate that you can earn infinite Silver Arrow Points. The second seems to indicate you can only earn Gold/Silver Arrow Points when you fill in the arrow and you can only fill in the arrow the first time you complete the elective. (i.e. you can do the elective as many times as you want but only the first time you do it counts toward Arrow points)

Any one have a definitive answer? With the source?

FWIW - my OPINION would be to only allow credit on the first pass. I would of course follow the official ruling.

You are correct. Once the achievement has been signed off it can not be credited again to another recognition. If it could then the scout could do the same 10 requirements over and over agin collecting arrowheads for the same repeated work.

I looked for a definite answer the other day and could not find one in the Wolf Book or the Leader's handbook. A scout could keep doing the same 10 activities over and over, but if that is happening I think it is time for the den leader and the parents to have a talk about the purpose of the electives.