Treasure Island (COL Council)

• 1 month later...

You're not the only one. I was looking forward to camping on The Island when my son came of age. My wife actually planned a trip there with her GS troop butit was cancelled because of the closure.

I visited my boyhood troop(109) the last summer in operation, and thought it was awesome to see the staff come togehter to make the visitors comfortable as we waited out the thunderstorms. My daughter loved the movies, and freshly baked cookies. She was in awe of the place, and asked if she could work there some day.

My first summer camp on TI was in '84, I worked there 87-89, took my Ordeal and Brotherhood there as well.(This message has been edited by gsdad)

"TI, still abiding when we leave thee..."

I am really saddened by the fact that generations of scouts will miss out on this wonderful opportunity. It was a great camp, plus its historic value ("oldest" scout camp, and founding of the Order). I never served on the staff, but I was there quite a few times for either a weekend trip or summer camp. Unfortunately, I didn't get to take my Ordeal there...but it is where I took my Brotherhood. It's funny, now that I'm looking back I remember how much I hated having to haul all of your gear from the dock, up the hill and to your site. Now that it's gone, I would gladly do it all over again with a smile. My only hope is that FOTI rehabs the place and someday turns it back over to COL. Its also extremely upsetting to see how much work the Lodge members, local units, and interested parties put into fixing everything on the island...only to have it closed. I am curious though, how much money it will take to get TI back into working condition. It would be nice to not only hit that mark, but exceed it so that future generations can experience the wonders of TI (if you've never been, just ask anyone from Cradle of Liberty and they'll know what I'm talking about). For know we can only hope...

Yours in WWW,

Ryan Nugent

ASM, OA Troop Rep Adviser

Troop 246

Delaware District

Cradle of Liberty