Citizenship and Communications MBs at Camp?

I have not attended Summer Camp for the past couple of years. However, when I did, camp was always looking for any leaders who would be willing to teach an extra MB not on the official schedule.

I always did Citizenship In The Nation. Except for the Visit, Report and Letter, the rest is in the book.

I would let camp know and they would then let the units attending know that the extra badge would be available. We would usually set it up for 4-5pm. Scouts could do the Visit, Report, Letter ahead of time and bring them or if not then take back a partial.

Classes were Mon-Thurs with a test on Thursday. They either got the badge or a partial.

Camp staff was also allowed to take advantage of this.

Have seen Citizenship In The World also done, especially when there was an Exchange Scout on staff.

A SM not allowingt a scout to take a required MB is going against the whole idea of Boy led. As long as a merit badge is being taught correctly, why not offer those at camp? Having a minimum age or rank may be wise to keep first or second year scouts from loading up on the eagle reguired ones.