Choosing Your Council Camp

We always go to our Council camp. We have very high participation, with guys going back year after year. The guys start out with the first year camper program, then for the next couple of years do merit badges, fun stuff, etc., and then for the first time this year three of our senior scouts (16 and 17 years old) are doing the high adventure program.

I do feel somewhat obligated to the council, but a better reason that I like our council camp is simply that is just an awesome site with terrific programs and wonderful staff. From what I hear from the boys, they think so too. Of course, they have nothing to compare it to since we've never gone anywhere else. A guy could go to our camp for five years without doing anything the same as the years past.

It is not unusual in our troop for a scout to attend camp for four or more summers. We always go the same time - 2nd session in June. Several other troops in our District attend then, too.

No one has ever brought up going to an out of council camp. I don't really know why. It is more expensive to go out of council and our in council camp is very reasonably priced - $185 per scouts, $95 adults.

The last two years and this year we have gone to camp in another council.

I have had some people jokingly harass me about not supporting the council. Personally I don't feel obligated. I would like to go to different camps for variety. However ...

In our troop the youth decide where to go. I think the adults would take them anywhere within about a 4 hour drive which provides a number of options.

Adults veto would only come into play if there were problems with logistics and finances.