SW Camp Suggestions

• 4 weeks later...

We have not bbeen to San Isabel but I suspect it might be quite hot.

We have also done Alexander and the boys always love it and it is close to us. I have an ASM (Made Eagle with us 2 years ago and stayed on as an adult leader after 18) who was a counselor there and has lots of good to say about it. Our younger scouts are going to Alexander again this year.

Peaceful Valley I hear has improved the past couple years, the food service used to be beyond awful but they mow have Sodexho that does a good job generally. Our scouts never go to peaceful valley though as we aere in the mountains and peaceful is out on the plains and is hot as the devil in summer. Us mountain folks are spoiled and stick with options up in the high country.

Odd this gets brought back up, we just had our court of honor and a big campout last week and several boys brought up independent frustrations or concerns that all had to do with aspects of how unwilling, un bending and difficult Ben Delatour was to work with.

Ben Delatour is a beautiful camp (Mostly) but they are too much of a hassle to deal with to be worth it. Some of the best camping areas (Broken Axe and others near by) were ruined as they had to wipe out the trees due to Pine Beetle last winter. Thier dining Sodexho) is very good but the water facilities are so small as to be almost useless. Look it up on google sattelite and you will see the rowing, canoe and fishing is too small to bother with. The "lake" (small pond) is spring fed and is alweays cold so it isn't popular for swimming with the scouts, besides it is about a mile to a mile and a half from the camp sites and is remote from all other activities as well. I would not chose them if scouts are interested in fishing or water sports.

Thanks again.

The older scouts are really wanting to do whitewater this summer so they have opted for Rocky Mountain High Adventure Base. We may send a contingent to San Isabel of the younger scouts, it will depend on how many parents are willing to commit to sending their scouts.