summer camp funding 09

FWIW, our troop has a different style of fundraising which makes it impossible to track individual earnings. All monies go to the troop account and we track participation in the fundraisers. As long as the boys and/or parents particpate they get their camp paid for. We are a small troop so this has been the best way for us. Our camper fund is and has been sound and also helps defray costs of the high adventure camps which our troop tries to do every other year.

Have you also checked with your council for camperships? (a type of scholarship to attend camp)

Neillup raises an interesting point and one I hadn't thought of about individual "ownership" of the funds and the tax ramifications.

But it's not surprising, many heads are better than one.

So, IF it's allowable for non-members to work the fund raiser, then they just have to understand that if they do not join the Troop, that they are donating their labor and if they choose to join they "may" receive credit(but not ownership of the funds - just like all of the other Scout accounts).

Is that better? :)

Firekat, camperships are typically limited to scouts from that council (and our council does not have a summer camp program so no luck for us there - we're permanently without a home camp.)

I want to thank you for your input. There are a bunch of different ideas here and I will be taking them back to our committee for discussion. If people come up with more, please let me know!

Much as I hate to sound really dense.

I have no idea what "because the money is only "earned" in paper transfers. It isn't really "owned" by the Scout. "

Means?? Help me out. - Please!!

Here is how I see it.

Troop 123 is chartered by the VFW.

Members of Troop 123 belong to a youth program that belongs to the VFW.

If the VFW were to choose a date for some sort of fund raising event and the Troop were to choose the same date. The Troop would have to stand down. (Of course the COR would have knowledge about this and it should never happen.)

What happens if and when something goes wrong?

A non-member is harmed? Who takes responsibility? Being as he isn't a registered member of the unit. Does that mean that in fact he isn't a Scout? A simple slip and fall could result in Lord knows what damages to a young person. (I know we don't like to think that it could happen. -But it really could!)

With more and more sales being prepaid sales what happens when someone who isn't a member doesn't turn in the money? While I'm sure the police could be called, but who would cover the loss? The Troop. - Which they are not a member of? The VFW?

We in our District have in the past have kids pretending to be Scouts selling stuff door to door. Is this any different?

Chances are that this could and might go off without any problems.

But it seems to me that it opens a lot of unanswered questions.

I more and more think that the wise thing to do is wait until the Lad is registered with the unit.

It just seems the right and prudent thing to do.

(Sorry to come off sounding like an old worry wart.)

Eamonn.

Summer camps have been a problem for us and it relates to many of the observations I have posted about previously on other threads. Difficulty with parents, parents who don't tune into communication, fickle plan changers, kids who need the money most raise the least funds etc. Add to that the summer camps want payment in full pretty early, And I am told this is to combat the increasing observation of "too busy" people procratinating until the last minute and it gets worse. I am not rally hot on catering to the older scouts, as when I have allowed them to put activities on the schedule they say they want, I rarely get them to sign up, same deal with summer camp, they sometimes talk a good talk and get a selection they want but when sign up time comes they end up taking a summer job, get on a summer baseball league or want to go and shoot all week at RAMS. Ihave a high number of 13 and under scouts and it will be even more so summer of 2009 so we are planning accordingly. 2 summers ago the previous SM steered the scouts into a very high price, long trek and it resulted in me inheriting a troop $1800 in the hole. Summer of 2007 we went to a low cost camp 500 miles away and the gas bill was $1300. I hate to see what it would have been this year and wouldn't risk that exposure for next year. Add to all this the fact it is like pulling teeth to get parents to drive, we had bad parent driver commitment issues this year and camp was only 2.5 hrs away !

To eneable myself to stay with the troop and actually have fun (And a few of the other active adult volunteeers) we are selecting a camp 1.5 hrs away for the general troop summer camp. Low cost, less driver shortage problem and less gas. If they can't be motivated to raise money than it is withing reach to write a check, it's not a battle I am going to fight any more. The older scouts can choose Rams, NYLT or 4 day high adventure at Tahosa. Denver area council offers a Philmont contingent in 2009 and I have made notice a few times but no one has inquired.