KC man drowns in Lake Jacomo

This is especially sad for me. I know both the Professionals who oversee this camp, as well as several of the Scouters who are on staff. A co-worker of mine (we are both on continuous ops at work) had to give up being on staff this year, to do his day job. These folks love making sure special needs youth (regardless of chronolgical age) get what Scouting delivers. My prayers will go to them privately.

If I know our H&S, Camping, and Special Needs folks at all, we'll work very hard to see what we could have done better (note a 2AM bedcheck and a near 1/1 camper to staff ratio in the sleeping facility) to do our best that this won't happen again.

As to the facility: The Kansas City area Rotary Clubs provide this camp to many youth-serving activities, to help with their special needs programs. Boy Scouting gets 1 week each year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

http://www.kansascity.com/115/story/227516.html

By KAREN UHLENHUTH

The Kansas City Star

A mentally challenged man drowned Friday in Lake Jacomo during a Boy Scout outing for members with disabilities.

According to the Jackson County sheriffs office, Douglas K. Rogers, 50, of Kansas City wandered into the lake about 3:30 a.m.

Rogers was with a group of Scouts at the Rotary camp on Colbern Road, authorities said. The Boy Scouts run one weeklong camp each summer for Scouts of all ages with developmental disabilities.

According to the sheriffs office, Rogers walked away from a tent and was heading into the water when a fisherman spotted him. The fisherman yelled, and Rogers shouted back but continued to walk into the water.

The fisherman left to summon an overnight security guard. When they returned, Rogers was floating in the lake. They called 911, and deputies responded moments later, said Deputy Ronda Montgomery, spokeswoman for the sheriffs office.

They pulled Rogers from the water and brought his body to the dock for emergency workers. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Scouts hire an extensive staff to look after the campers at Rotary Camp, said Mark Brayer, director of support services for the Heart of America Council. The 77 campers this week were accompanied by 80 to 85 staff members. The campers ages range from 11 to 70.

Rogers and eight other campers were sleeping in a shelter with seven staff members. Rogers was present during a bed check just before 2 a.m., Brayer said.

This was Rogers fifth year at the camp. He was a member of a Scout troop at the Lees Summit group home where he lived, according to Brayer.