Misiouri River High Adventure Base...

This sounds nice, though I've never even heard of it. Where is it located?

In graduate school at Iowa State Univ. I spent a summer on the Missouri taking samples for the Army Corps of Engineers and analyzing the results in the lab. A VERY fast flowing river, but some wonderful backwaters.

I also went to high school along the Mississippi in Dubuque, Iowa and spent a little time on the river there. Much slower to the point that we could easily paddle upstream to reach some fun back areas, though we did get swamped by a barge once. Not a big deal because we'd always head near shore when a barge was coming - they are VERY dangerous (but a key part of the area's economy - no complaints).

le Voyageur, have you been to the message board on paddling.net? I just found it recently and have enjoyed reading the posts there. I can't say I agree with all the opinions given there, but I guess that's the case with most any forum.

Ken K.

The Base is in South Dokata - somewhere near Yankton. They have two treks with the put ins at Ft. Randall for extra mileage for the longer trek, and the shorter treak near Yankton. And one take out at Ponca State Park in Nebraska...