We run a Cub Scout Day camp in northern Vermont. This year we wanted to do something really exciting with our cubs, but are not sure if it is permitted or not. We would like to have the boys make bows. We have an archery instructor, and our boys are instructed in safety and shoot twice during the week. The idea is to have them make the bows, then on Friday they can shoot with their bow on our archery course.

I checked out A Guide To Safe Scouting, but don't really see anything addressing this. Does anyone know for sure if this is permitted or not?

Thanks.

While I don't see any reason not to make these at Day Camp. Nor can I see any reason why they couldn't be used at the range under qualified adult supervision.

I do wonder what happens when the camp is over? Most times we allow the little fellows to take what they made home with them. Allowing the bows to go home might cause problems and I sure as heck wouldn't want to be a neighborhood cat.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with Day Camp, it's a great time and place to meet and get to know our little Lads.

Eamonn.

Not to discourage you but to make a safe, working bow is a formidable task. Many adults have trouble building one. As an archery director for cub resident camp 4 years running and 13 years experience as an archer, I would never shoot, or allow cubs to shoot a homemade/handmade bow made by youth or anyone with out years of experience in bow design and construction. Additionally the tools and materials (especially the wood) are especially expensive for any scout event, knowing the average budget for camps.