Need help if you please

I have been doing scouts most of my life. Yet I am faced with a dilemma never thought I would have to. I found out thru experience that the Council which I am connected too, has their own plan. Mainly to keep the troop I work with low so that we will disburse. Over time I have requested help to no avail. Went to camp the first time. The Troop was blamed for many things which most of them we weren't to be blamed for. Now that the Council has decided to implement a person who I will think of as John. He is not knowledgeable of the things I or others have done in the past to support our Council. Yet we can say one thing and it is twisted around, i.e. we havent had meetings on a regular basis. Mind you with the weather in our area and not enough leaders we do our best. However John was told we weren't having any meetings at all. Due to safety concerns of travelling, we did what we could. Now I have gone thru the chain of command without any help from anyone. What should I do now? I am seriously thinking of contacting National regarding the past and current work of those people in regards to our troop. The roundtable meetings used to have about 30 people or so. Now its lucky if there is more than 15, including the staff who runs it. I was taught in scouts that each scout was a brother or sister to another scout. Yet continually the other scouts from other troops are abusing this troop verbally and in a negative way. The Council is only wanting numbers for troops yet won't assist this troop with recruitment. So what can I tell my son's scoutmaster to do? I would certainly appreciate any and all help!

Thank you

Pheonix, I can feel the pain in your writing. Unfortunately, it confused me a little. I can tell you are quite passionate about the subject. Can you clear up some facts so we might be able to give you some advice?

- What is your role in the troop?

- What role does "John" play? Is he with council? What is his position?

- Is it just that the other troops in your district are badmouthing you? I've seen this happen, and know it can be painful.

- What has your DE done? Have you spoken to him/her?

- Do you have a Unit Commissioner? Have you spoken to him/her?

That's a good start. Hopefully with some more facts we can give you some advice.

I agree that more specifics are needed.

I find it very strange that a council would support the demise of a unit. I was told once that troops needed at least 5 scouts to retain their charter, but I don't know if that was just our district/council talking or not. I assume there are scouts registered to your unit.

Now, it may be that your suspicions are correct and some folks are out to get your troop for some unknown reason. Maybe this John fellow needs to be confronted with this question and you demand to know what is up. If he is being supported in this endeavor by Council then he may respond with a more strident attitude. If there is no real support, then he may likely back off, especially if you threaten to go over his head. If your unit leadership is adamant about getting a response to your questions, I would start with the Council Exec (have you talked to him) rather than National first.

On the otherhand, it may be by a strange sequence of events that it would appear that your unit is being treated poorly, and there is no intent. You mention you have gone to Council for help with recruitment, but to no avail. In my experience, Councils are not much help in these matters anyway - recruitment is pretty much solely a troop responsibility - don't look for help from your Council on that matter. As for the bad-mouthing from other troops, hold your head up high, your unit's view of itself is all that really matters. Maybe, its time for your unit to remove itself from District matters (sounds like you would not be the only ones attending Roundtable) and focus on your immediate needs - recruitment of scouts and adults, implementing consistent troop meetings, and developing a model BSA-unit. In my opinon, this would be the best way to 'fight back'. It would look pretty bad if your Council made specific and documented attempts to shut down a thriving and model unit.

"The Council is only wanting numbers for troops yet won't assist this troop with recruitment"

That sounds very familiar and brings up a question I have: How are Quality units, councils etc determined?

Our council is very busy trying to star new troops, packs, etc but then not giving them any help on what to do. In the last few years they have created many that many times don't last a year or 2. Meanwhile the older troops & packs struggle to get enough kids (we are a rural area with a limited number of kids).

Do others have this problem?

The other thing to realize is that the troop belongs to your chartering organization - usually a church or faith community, sometimes a community organization or school. This chartering organization is who makes the decision whether or not they have a troop. Find out who your CO is and strengthen your troop's relationship with it :)

Peace and all good,

Anne in Mpls