I seem to be the odd man out in this discussion. I dont use my backpacking bag unless I'm backpacking. I have a very nice bag from Sam's Club, cost $30 and has zippers on the sides to convert it from a rectangular bag to a mummy bag. I don't use this feature but for a 4 foot kid being able to compact the bottom 18 inches so he doesn't have to heat it works well. It's rated for 35 degrees and with a fleece liner I do Okpik sub zero campouts no problem. I have a down bag for pack packing. Using the same bag for everything reduces it's life span. The bag looks great and WAS capable of providing 6 hours of comfortable sleep at X degrees when it was new but 5 years and 60 campouts later the insulation value has dropped. REI and the people that we talk to up in the Chicago area say a bag is only "reliable" for 4 to 5 years because the insulation becomes crushed, the down starts to powder and the stitching starts to stretch.

As for saying warm, I camped my entire youth and most of my adult life waking up cold. When I took Okpik training our instructor told us to leave the car in the street and go sleep in the unheated garage. Start as naked as you modesty allows and thru the night add layers as needed giving each addition 20 minutes to work. I realized I had been cold because I had over dressed and was actually over heating. For the last 4 years Ive been out in sub zero temps 4 or 5 times each year and been quite comfortable in the morning.

Id say find out what works for you and your body.

LongHaul

LH,

A synthetic bag is usually only good for 4 - 5 years of heavy use, but a down bag should last at least 20 years. The synthetic fibers get crushed every time you compress the bag, and don't regain their full size afterwards. The down feathers will compress and come right back.

One of our adults is using the same REI down bag he took to Philmont as a Scout, probably close to 30 years ago. It has seen a lot of use, but keeps working great. He hangs it in a closet after each use.

If your down bag isn't working as well as it did, you probably need to wash it. This pod cast includes a story about a man who had a down bag that stopped working, and after washing it properly, it was as good as new. It is loaded with good info on down bags.

http://www.trailcast.org/podcasts/trailcast-17-Jan-30-2006.mp3

If that doesn't get you there, go to http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ and you will find it on the front page.