Rory is now getting big and requires a good walk at least once a day.The Doctor tells me that walking is a good way for me to get back in shape.

I really enjoy walking and love watching him play as only puppies can. Our normal walk is about an hour or so. Mostly over fields, when the wind blows you really know that it's blowing.

I dislike the cold and hate being cold. We have had some really cold days. They say with the wind chill it has been around ten degrees Fahrenheit.

I bought some of that high-tech underwear, which is high wicking and has silver in it. I paid a lot (About $50.00) for the set and I don't like it. Normal everyday thermal underwear seems a lot warmer.

My Mum was the world greatest knitter. She would only use wool. I love wool sweaters, but have found that a blend of cashmere and some sort of nylon is as warm but not as bulky.

I bought the high-tech sock liners, but have not used them (The underwear didn't work!!) So I use a pair of wool socks over a pair of cotton blend socks. I am using a pair of Columbia Gore-tex, Titanium boots, with a vibram sole. These are working out well. I have sprayed them a few times with water repellent stuff.

I don't own a good pair of walking pants, so I wearing a pair a Gore-Tex rain pants over blue jeans. They do keep the wind off my legs.

I wear a cashmere scarf inside a Columbia Summit Zone Jacket. It has a fleece liner which I think can be removed, it has a hood and good pockets. The zippers can be managed with gloves on.

I have a Columbia hat that isn't very good the wind seems to get through it. So I have a another thing that I'm not sure what it is called. It is just a ring of fleece material. It does cover your neck and when it gets real cold you can pull it over your nose. I pull it over the back of my head.

I am very disappointed with the gloves I have, both are made by Columbia and both pair are not keeping my hands warm. Mittens would be better but I need to hold the dog leash. One pair is very bulky. I thought the bulk might mean they would be warmer. They also have very long cuffs which is great for one glove. Once you put the other one on trying to get the Velcro on the jacket over it becomes a pain. I'm thinking a good pair of Polartec Power Stretch fleece gloves are the way to go. They cost about $20.00 but maybe they will work better than the underwear.

I know that we as a rule look at high-tech camping equipment in this part of the forum, but I think that I can use a lot of what I have learned from these walks to help me if and when I ever go winter hiking or even just attend the winter Camporee.

Eamonn.

I like wool also! hats, socks, shirts...its great!

I am guessing the high tech long johns you acquired are for active wear (and are good for little but sweat transport to the outer levels) Many high-tech layering systems are made with activity levels

'in mind' some are utterly worthless unless you are doing cross-country skiing or running...and then, seconds after you slow down you start getting chilled...I tend to favor the heavy duty polypro in expedition weight...(for sitting around without freezing ones ...er... buns off) Duo fold (?) also makes a heavy weight wool blend set that is great for light exercise...like watching scouts (and the coffe pot) at play.

Gloves, I have a real clunky pair that my nephew gave me a few years ago for hunting. They are polar-tech mittens but the mitten folds back and reveals light polartech gloves...works pretty well for trigger work, opening the coffee bottle and rooting through my pack...and when the finger start getting cold you fold them back down...(you can also slide a small chemical heater ito them and get real cozy...but they do look kind of clunky.

for pants you might want to try wind/rain pants like runners use over polartech liners and your long johns...unless you are busting brush ( what kind of k-9 is Rory?) you may find that system much lighter and warmer (almost like wandering around in sweats)and save your gore-tex to boot! If brush is a factor, try upland hunting pants the legs have a front thorn shield/wind break fabric but they are made for walking.

filison makes a northwoods style wool cap with visor and fold down, lambs wool lined ear-muffs that is really nice though I usually wear an old hunting hat and a poloypro neck gaitor (its like a turtle neck), that you can pull it up over your ears or nose or up over the top of your head and use it as a hood...I carry one on campouts to wear at night instead of a wool watch cap...they are great...again a little dorky but great in function!

Hope you and Rory stay comfortable!

hike on!

Eamonn, I feel for you, Buddy!

I'm still recovering from a stupid stupid neck injury, and drafty cold is the worst.

I'd switch out the long underwear for silk. I've ever liked the "feel" of long underwear, but with a silk turtleneck life is good.

I also really love Merino wool - very little bulk, nice cushy feel.

Around here they sell gloves and mittens lined with Thinsulate. Very little bulk, very warm. Warmer than polarfleece.

Peace out,

Anne in Mpls

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter got me a set of ski suit liners. They are silk. Love them. If it is really cold I put them on under my thremals. I also wear sock liners under wool socks with hiking boots. Never have cold feet.

The nice think about the silk liners is they are warm but light weight and if it warms up they don't make you to hot.