Topo software- any reviews?

I am toying with the idea of 'gifting' a software package to the troop for generating Topo maps (orienteering, hikes, canoe trips etc.)

Having looked at TOPO, National Geographic, and Delorme, have any of you done this (been there and bought the tee shirt)? Pros ? Cons? Best?

one of our weekend canoe trips takes seven USGS quads!

have one or two good maps is the goal!

I have both NG Topo! and Delorme's topographic software. While the Delorme software is nice - I use their street atlas all the time, it is not nearly as good as the Topo! product.

I think the Topo! maps are actual scanned USGS maps, while the Delorme maps are built up with data.

I would stick to the NG Topo! software.

I use Delorme's topo program - I am using a version from a few years ago but it is petty solid most of the time. I really enjoy the 3-D, like SemperParatus. If you do get the troop a program, you need a good color printer - it is necessary for the details to come out properly. I must say that there is nothing like holding a 1:24,000 scale map from the USGS in your hands - you can really visualize the terrian with those big boys. And the ink won't run when it gets wet!