I did ask one troop. What you say about the relationships is true part of the time. The rest were solicited donations...oops... Anyway, I informed them of our experience and they were surprised. Oh well, I guess the council simply hasn't communicated this clearly enough to all the units. As Rush Limbaugh says, 'it's all about money'.

SP,

In general, I agree with you. However, the scenario I gave actually happened in our council where a business didn't donate to FOS because they had donated to a troop. From their perspective, they made an annual donation to SCOUTING, which was correct. To the council who scrapes for every dime they can to support the total program for all units, they missed out while the individual unit made out. It is probably rare, but it can happen. And yes, units do ask for donations all the time. We had a committee member who contacted Cabelas when we started our troop about 6 months ago. They sent us a nice tent free of charge. It sure came in handy this past weekend when one of our scouts old worn out tent started coming apart at the seams when he was putting it up.