Possible good deal on gear

I don't know if it's true elsewhere, but the Galyan's near where I live has some very good discounts on some camping gear, perhaps because it's been purchased by Dick's. Maybe they're phasing out those models. Anyway, I bought a Eureka Timberline 2XT for about $50 yesterday. If they have a store near you, you might want to check it out. (I'm not a shill for Galyan's or Dick's--in fact, I have never been very impressed by their service.)

Here in Oklahoma, I've never heard of either one of them. Another good deal on camping gear is www.scoutdirect.com. It is a website run by Alps Mountaineering and is set up to give pretty significant discounts on their products to scouting. We've had several of our scouters in our troop purchase some tents and cots from them and have been pretty pleased.

We've got both Dicks and Galyans. We're seeing the same thing here (deep discounts on the Galyans merchandise). It's really a bummer. Dicks is a good run-of-the-mill sporting goods store. Decent prices on decent gear. Galyans was a higher-end mall type store. Lots of high-tech stuff, climbing wall, great environment. Plus, they gave 10% off on camping gear to scouts. You just had to present your membership card at the cash register.

I was at Galyans a few weeks ago. They have not been told whether the scout discount will continue. It was as of then. I got a sweet deal on a new Kelty Red Cloud. They had it on sale, plus the 10% discount. Got it for nearly half-price.

• 2 weeks later...

Hit the Galyans in St.louis today for some great savings on *name-brand* 50% off purchases (MSR, thermarest,JanSport, etc.) All tents appeared to be discounted 25-50%. Lots of quality clothing also. They also still honored my BSA card for an additional 10% . Spent 30 minutes in the check-out line, but it was worth it !!

G5