Anyone use the Brunton 8099 Eclipse Compass?

Although I already have several baseplate compasses of the type most scouts would use - my favorites are the Suunto M-3 (with the regular needle - I'm not fond of their "global needle") and the Brunton 8096 GPS Eclipse (I tend to navigate in conjunction with a GPS).

I'm thinking of getting myself a sighting compass - one with a mirror. Most of the choices are fairly obvious: Silva Ranger (atually made by Suunto), Brunton 15TDCL Elite (the "real" Silva Ranger), and the Suunto Navigator MC-2.

I have also been looking at the Brunton 8099 Eclipse compass at the local store. Has anyone on this forum used this compass?

I like the features, but I wonder if people have found it too heavy or complex to be useful in the field.

• 4 months later...

THINK I WAS PROBABLY THE FIRST PERSON TO OWN A BRUTON ECLIPSE..HAD A LOCAL STORE ORDER IT AND IT TOOK MONTHS TO COME SINCE THEY WEREN'T YET AVAILABLE. IT IS A GREAT TOOL, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A SERIOUS COMPASS USER. I'D LOOK AT ONE

BEFORE YOU INVEST IN IT..IT IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN LESSER

UNITS AND IT PROBABLY ISN'T FOR EVERYBODY. I'VE NEVER RUN INTO ANOTHER USER

I have one. Information overload. Lots of stuff to look at and fiddle with! Yes it's a little heavy but the rubber bumpers do keep it safe.

Instead of carrying a novel with you, Id suggest that you bring along the manual that comes with the compass. It makes "fascinating" reading and will keep you occupied for many hours.