Putting on our own Winter Camp?

Biggest problems I've run into with these types of plans are:

1) School vacation dates don't line up across all schools

2) Families reluctant to give up "family time" over the holidays

Maybe those aren't issues for you and your troop - but I'd definitely pitch the idea to your scouts and their parents before getting too involved with planning.

Hopefully you'll be able to pull something off - long term cold-weather camping isn't something that many units get to experience.

Sounds like a great idea! I'd be surprised if you attracted a fraction of your boys, but I'm sure those who go would have a good time.

Are you thinking of picking someplace local or will this involve travel? (In other words, are you all snow chasing?)

Not snow chasing.

The idea started with someone saying the MB classes were boring 'cause they were just sitting there. That evolved (in my head) to a base camp with various hikes and MB work in the outdoors.

Right now, it's just an idea that I'm trying to flesh out to present to the PLC.

Yah, sure, usually no problem runnin' other long-term campouts during the year besides summer camp. Da trick is to get notice out way in advance and make sure it's somethin' really special / really fun that will attract boys and make it worth it to families. I'm not sure in that respect that I'd go with runnin' a bunch of badge sessions. Better to go with runnin' a river!

B

FWIW, I caught up with a friend in FL the day after Christmas. His son was quite excited to go to a winter camp put on by their council the next day. However, only one other boy from his troop was going.

You may want to think of making a plan for two MB's that the boys want to master. Get in touch with an expert or two to estimate cost for three or four days of instruction. Find out how many of your boys are interested at the cost per boy of, say, 50% of your boys attending. If your desired number isn't met, put the word out to troops in your district on how many open slots you will have.

If you have one boy who is interested in making the phone calls and doing invitations, it can be a rewarding experience for you both.