We have 10 new crossovers and need at least one new patrol box. (Whether we'll need two is a topic for another thread). Our current boxes are pretty classic, built with one piece of plywood, 2 x 2 legs, and open on one side only. Surfing around the web there are a couple of other designs out there and I was wondering what experience people have had with them and how they made their choices.

T2Eagle

Go with the basic design for now. Make two or three of them. have an extra that is made the same as all the others that you can use to try some modifications on. That way you are not holding up the other boxes while you brain storm. Basically have a practice box.

I think this is da sort of question you as your youth Quartermaster and da patrol leader of the patrol. They're the ones who have to live with the choice, so they're the ones who should make it. Let 'em consider lightweight gear (like da stuff Kudu recommends somewhere on his site), give 'em what you've found on the net, let 'em decide what they really want.

No reason this should be an adult decision. Yeh may need to provide some adult carpentry resources of course (or not, dependin' on what the lads choose).

If yeh really open it up and have a conversation and make it clear that it's their choice, I reckon you'll get a good result, but not da same one you'd have made. Yeh have to start with what they feel about da current boxes? Like 'em? Hate 'em? What would they feel about ditching 'em? Making 'em bigger? Open up da conversation and get 'em thinking about likes and dislikes and what they'd want, then let 'em go.

Beavah

A lot of the problems I've had and seen with patrol boxes is that everyone seems to forget who will be carrying them and over what sort of ground they will be carried.

Even when the Scouts build them, the plans come from an adult who wants to make sure that everything will fit, that the boxes will be able to make it all the way through a nuclear attack and last until the year 2020. They also want to make these boxes as close to the old Chuck Wagon as is possible..

When build they fill them with half a dozen Dutch Ovens and an assortment of cast iron skillets.

Little Lads of 11 and 12 are normally the unfortunate souls who get tasked with moving this from where-ever to where the patrol is setting up camp.

Of course the guy who designs it has the biggest pick-up truck on the market, while everyone else drives a Smart Car. Soon after it being built the designer will start working weekends and the Patrol will end up using plastic tote boxes which work almost as well.

Ea.