Down time activites with Tiger Cubs

Our Pack is going camping in a few weeks and I need some ideas for what to do with my Cubs. We'll have a ranger-led hike on Saturday morning, then lunch, then 2-3 hours of down time. It's family camping so there are a lot of younger siblings who will need naps or at least quiet time at that point in the day, including my own children. I'm trying to think of things we can do at the campsite that would be entertaining and engaging for the boys and their parents. I'm thinking of grabbing a few board games and craft projects but would welcome other ideas.

Thank you!

Elizabeth

Somethings I've seen done and plan on doing.

Compass course and/or GPS called it a treasure hunt, had a "chest" of juice as the last point

LNT work, including making posters

Kickball

Pinecone bird feeders.

Ultimate

Wow, 2-3 hours of free time in the middle of the day is quite a lot. Not much time for anything after that but maybe a quick game and then to get ready for dinner.

Does the BALOO trained person in charge of the campout have anything planned for "down time"?

What is planned between that and dinner prep?

Is there a campfire program planned for the evening?

What kind of facilities are in the Park?

Are you asking for just the Tigers, or for everyone on the trip?

Does the BALOO trained person in charge of the campout have anything planned for "down time"?

My husband and I are so far the only BALOO trained leaders in the Pack. This is the first campout where every minute wasn't scheduled and the rest of the Pack Leadership isn't very helpful on this or much of anything else.

What is planned between that and dinner prep?

This is it. Lunch... 2-3 hours... dinner. Dinner is probably burgers or hot dogs, dad grilled, so not much involvement from the Cubs. :(

Is there a campfire program planned for the evening?

Yeah, after dinner with the Park Ranger.

What kind of facilities are in the Park?

Not much really from what I remember camping there as a Girl Scout. Trails, trees, campsites.

Are you asking for just the Tigers, or for everyone on the trip?

Just the Tigers really, the other Den leaders will take care of their own activities (or not... but they won't take ideas or information from me ahead of time, I've learned that the hard way).

Elizabeth

Well for just your Tigers families, you could have each one bring a board game.

You could tell them about / give them some stuff on animals that can be found in the area of the park you are staying at. Then go on a mini hike to see if they can find any evidence of those animals (skat, tracks, nests, etc).

Bring a box of non-latex disposable gloves, and a bunch of plastic grocery bags. Do a clean-up hike around the campgrounds.

Get all of the den families involved -

Bring some sports equipment and play a game of softball, ultimate, horseshoes, etc.

Bring a couple of water guns, some empty soda cans, and do target practice.

If the weather is warm, do a water balloon toss.

Play some large group games (check out Appendix DD in your BALOO packet, or do a Google search).

If there is a river or lake near by, have everyone bring fishing poles and do a Fishing Derby.

Put together a couple of air launchers and do Stomp Rockets.

You said the Park Ranger was running a campfire program. Is it for just your group? Can your families contribute anything to the program? Talk to the Ranger, if it is OK with him/her use the down time to have all of your dens come up with a skit, or a song to do do at the campfire. Bring some BSA literature to share, and make copies of stuff off the 'net for handouts. Be sure to remind them to keep everything in good taste. It is always a good idea to have each group let you know what they are doing beforehand.

Have the scouts work on belt loops or electives for their badges.

I have done this in the past and its work very well. If you have enough leadership available you can even divide up the scouts by age group and work on their specific requirements.

A game is really your best solution. If you have the space, a good game of SPUD always goes over big. Just requires a soft ball.

I also like to push boondoggling (craft lace braiding). Not too difficult to learn and in my experience most scouts will sit and do it for hours.

We usually took some frisbees, a playground ball, and some cones to family campouts. As the BALOO trained organizer, I didn't plan down time, I planned unstructured time. The campout was generally advertised as a relaxing family activity with a few structured things like a hike or GPS geocache. I let people know that I would bring some frisbees and a ball and encouraged them to bring their favorite game. Remember, this is a FAMILY camp out, not summer camp where every minute of the day is planned from morning to night. Families should take responsibility for themselves and you shouldn't try to plan out every hour for them.

"Dinner is probably burgers or hot dogs, dad grilled, so not much involvement from the Cubs."

If Dad grills the dogs, you miss a great opportunity for the kids to have a valid reason for holding a stick over a fire. Let them cook their own hot dogs - they'll love it! I didn't allow boys to play in the fire, so cooking hot dogs was a way for them to interact with the fire.

As the BALOO trained leaders for the pack, you should be in charge of planning and they should be listening to you. After all, you went to the training and understand the purpose and methods of the pack family campout. With the exception of Webelos leaders who can take their dens camping by themselves, the other den leaders should be checking with you because this is a PACK family campout, not a bunch of dens who happen to be camping at the same place. Even the Webelos leaders should be working with the pack on a pack campout. Now, there is nothing wrong with having a specific den responsible for coordinating an event for the pack. The difference is that everybody who wants to will participate in that event.

My pack would provide breakfast on Sunday morning as a fun/nice thing to do. After a couple times of watching people pack up, eat, and leave while I was stuck cooking and cleaning up for them, I decided that the combined meal would be Saturday night. That seemed to work better as people were more willing to help with cleanup and I didn't feel like I was stuck in the kitchen the whole time. It was kind of a self-inflicted struggle because I wanted to expose people to the broad possibilities of Dutch Oven cooking, but that was often in sharp contrast to the people that brought their pre-packaged no cook meals. After the switch, it no longer bothered me when people packed up while I was cooking because I ate gourmet food while they ate their cold whatevers.