A few of our boys decided at one of our meetings to do a knot board. We have never made one before, and we would like some advice on how to make it. What should the dimensions of our board be? Are there any cool-looking knots you knoow of that we could put on there? Any help would be appreciated.

ASPL Drew (Son of Narraticong)

What is your intended purpose of the knot board?

It is to be used as a teaching tool for the T-1st class knots? Then it would only have those knots.

Maybe a knot board for reference when makeing pioneering projects so would have examples of the clove and timber hitch, along with the 5 lashings, and maybe examples of splices?

Is it an example of many of the cool oramental knots to inspire scouts to take up knot tying? Then there are many knot books full of cool looking knots.

Maybe a dedicated knot board for sailing and boating knots. A knot board with fishing knots? A knot board with the climbing/COPE knots?

When I was on the rescue squad, we used completely different knots than typically taught in scouts. Much more oriented towards climbing. We had special purpose knots that were variations on common knots. The Split locking clove hitch is one that comes to mind. It is used to secure a rope to a T intersection so that half the knot is on one side of the leg and the other half of the knot is on the other side of the leg and the direction of load on the rope tends to tighten the knot versus pull it apart. It is used to secure the main haul line to victim rescue basket. We also practiced tieing knots while wearing gloves since we would be required to wear gloves during a real rescue operation. Leather gloves removes a lot of the touch sensation and makes tieing knots more challenging.

Size of the board depends of whether it will be mounted on the scout hut wall or if it will be carried in the troop trailer and be pulled out during drop and flop campouts.

The size of the board will help to define the size of the rope. Dowels can be cut and attached for various knots. If the board is to be used for testing, then maybe the knot names can be coverd by a flap or labeled on the back.

Look in the electrical asile of the hardware store for staples. They are basically nails in the shape of staples that are driven with a hammer instead of a stapler. The stapeles can be used to secure the ropes/knots to the board.

Saw a knot board last month mounted on the wall of a scout hut. It was almost the size of a full sheet of plywood. Knots were 6-10 inches across so could be easily seen from across the room.

Rope ends are usually whipped and nailed or stapled to the board. White cotton and white braided rope looks bright and crisp set against a stained wood board. I saw a laid rope made of three colors that had been spliced. The different colors of each strand made an interesting effect when spliced back on itself. Some of the knot books use ropes of different color for knots that require two ends like square, sheet bend, etc. Easier to see how the ropes join.

Figure out how you want to use the knot board and that will help to define how you will make it.

We have a knot log. The hitches are tied to the log and the bends are hanging from it. The log itself can be hung anywhere and is large enough to form the top of a gateway if you want. I haven't counted it but I think it has about 25 different knots, maybe 30.

I'd also remind everyone that someone (sorry, can't remember who) listed a really great website:

http://www.animatedknots.com/

I'm still enjoying that site and there are enough different knots to keep anyone busy.