When is Reveille for Your Troop

First call 5:45 am.

Reveille 6:00 am.

Breakfast 7:00 am.

Flags & normal camp activities 8:00 am.

Last weekend when I got up at 5:30 to get ready for First Call, 5 boys were already up and making breakfast for their patrol. My boys know that the troop is early rising, so they are all normally in bed by 10:00 pm.

Stosh

My boys know that the troop is early rising, so they are all normally in bed by 10:00 pm.

Yah, me, I'm more fond of da patrol method, eh? :)

Can't for the life of me figure why an entire troop should get up at the same time.

May just be me enjoyin' da morning quiet, but even da camp-wide loudspeaker reveille I find annoyin'.

Da patrols planned their own day, right? And their own meals? If one patrol planned a quick breakfast while another decided to catch fish in da early dawn to make trout quiche, then I reckon they should get up and go to bed at different times.

Beavah

Yep, it's still the patrol-method, boy-led if we retire at 10:00 pm and get up at 6:00 am. This is the schedule the boys have adopted because it allows for the boys to get up, get breakfast and not miss all the fun that usually starts around 8:00 am at most camporees.

As I said, when I got up at 5:30 this past Saturday morning, one patrol (older boys) was already getting breakfast on and the other patrol (NSP) was still in the sack. Sunday morning the NSP had cold cereal and the older boys had eggs and bacon. Both patrols were ready to leave at the same time. Just because they agree on a time table doesn't mean each patrol has to do everything the same way. They know their limits and their strengths and adapt their patrol style to the schedule.

The SM and adults may retire at 10:00 pm, but that doesn't preclude the boys quietly playing cards in their tents until they get sleepy. Some of the NSP boys went to bed well before 10:00 pm, they were totally exhausted from all the activities they got in during the day. No one told the patrols when bed time was, it was just scheduled for courtesy reasons that 10:00 pm is quiet/bed/in-the-tents time or however you wish to define it.

We have no bugler nor people standing around with buckets of water to roust the boys up in the morning. SPL asks for a wakeup call, what he does with it is usually wakes up the PL's who have in turn asked for a wakeup call as well.

Stosh

In Michigan, reveille is when the first bird, (typically the Robins around here), start blasting away at twilight. If your quiet and unzip your tent slowly you may catch a few does trotting around your campsite. By sun up the songs are done and the hunt is on for breakfast. I'm surprised no one has mentioned the bird factor.