We are looking at making a trip with a group of about 20 Webelos and their parents (one each) this summer to Patriots Point to visit the USS Yorktown. Has anyone done this? What would you recommend for excursions in this age group.

Additionally, we plan on making an overnight stop in the Carolina/Tennessee mountains, camping overnight on the way there and back. We're looking for campsites a short hike in (at least 1 and not more than 4 or 5 miles), not extremely strenuous, at least one with fishing. Does anyone have any suggestions for locations from their own experience?

The Yorktown trip is one that several of our Cub Packs have done over the years. It is a great trip. However, I would rethink taking your Pack in the summer. Summer months here are very hot and humid and it doesn't cool down much at night when you're sleeping on the ship. If you have not already booked the trip, you should begin now working on making a reservation - the overnight books up months in advance.

I have to agree with gwd-scouter. The ship is HOT in the summer. I haven't done the sleep on the ship, but I did tour in June. The best places on the ship were sitting in the snack bar directly in front of a fan and the captains galley which does have AC. I know many that have done the trip at various times and say they do a great job, they have several different programs for different ages.

You didn't say where you were coming from or where in the Carolinas/Tennessee you hope to camp. Also, do you really want to hike in and out, when you will be climging 9 million steps in the ship? I remember a trip I took a group of scouts on and one adult commented that she (and her kids) enjoyed the trip because we didn't turn it into an endurance march.

If you post your starting point and route of travel, forum members will most likely have many suggestions on where to camp.

My question is how much backpacking experience do your Webelos and parents have. I've been away from Cubs for a long time and don't remember if backpacking is an approved activity.

In any case, hiking in to a campsite, whether one mile or four, will require everyone to carry everything needed on their backs: tents, sleeping bags, food, water, cook stoves if you plan to eat anything hot, along with personal items. That can become quite a heavy load for the parents, who would most likely wind up carrying the more heavy items for their sons. Also, if any of your participants have a bad experience with the campout on your travel to Patriot's Point, they are not likely to look forward to a repeat of that experience on your way home.

You may want to reconsider the hiking in and find a state park or similar campsite along your route that you can drive into. Then you could take your Scouts on a short hike, go fishing, or any other fun activity once you've set up your campsite.

Just a suggestion.

You are planning on a 4 OR 5 mile hike, with a full backpack, and in mountains? With WEBELOS and their PARENTS?

Have any of these boys, much less their parents, ever done ANY backpacking at all? Do they have the equipment? Do they have the skills? How much camping of any kind have these people done?

Wherever you end up camping, it MUST be approved for CUB SCOUT camping. I don't know of any backpack campsites that are approved for CUB SCOUTS. Your best bet would be to contact the BSA Council that covers that area and get a list of CUB APPROVED campsites from them.

First I would like to say that I thinkn that the plan that you have so far sounds great.

The above posts are right, this area is HOT and HUMID during the summer months. But if you have this already planned then go with your plans.

As for places to camp in the are that you are asking about I have one suggestion. NC State Parks. Our council has told us that all state parks with camping are on the approved list. Most of them have group campsites.

Here is a link to them http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/main.php

You can look at where you want to go and most have hiking trails, as I guess you are looking for a short hike and not a backpacking trip.

Here is the webpage for the local council

http://www.oldhickorycouncil.org/

Hope this infomration helps you in the planning.

The Yorktown / Patriots Point is a great trip. And, yes - the ship can be downright uncomfortable to sleep in due to heat & humidity - even in the spring.

A good trip from there is to take the boat ride over to Ft. Sumter. If you go toward the end of the day, you may be able to help the rangers retire the colors. We lucked out & were there at the right time a couple of years ago. If there had been a stiffer breeze, the flag probably could have carried a couple of our cubs aloft & out to sea.

PS - if you're over 5ft tall, be careful onboard ship - you'll knock your head off going thru hatches & down stairs.

Have fun!

NC

We are doing this as Webelos Den camping, not Cub Scout camping. To the best of my knowlege, Webelos Den camping does not require site approval.

Secondly, we are leaving from Louisville Kentucky. This is the reason for the overnighters in the mountains. About 5 hours drive on each side and a cool place to camp, keeping the time in vehicle to a minimum. We were thinking of overnighting in Pisgah national forest somewhere.

We definitely want to keep the backpacking (which the parents will really be the one's doing) short, hence the 4 miles max, but are thinking that somewhere around a mile is optimal.

The parents are being well informed of the gear that will be needed and what will be done. Most of the ones that want to go have older Boy Scouts in the Troop, so are familiar with backpacking. To be totally honest, we've had cub parents haul stuff about 1/2 mile on poor trails to some of the places that we've camped LOL. I think we're alright as long as we keep the distance short. All that said, it's not really a backpacking trip. We just want to get a little ways off the road to camp.

Thanks for the information on the ship. All of their literature say's it's air conditioned, but that sounds a little embellished. Unfortunately early summer may be the most likely time for us to do it.(This message has been edited by pack212scouter)

• 6 months later...

Just thought that I'd update everyone on our trip, just completed. We took 20 Webelos on the trip.

Day 1, Dad's packed the gear to the campsite, about 2 miles in and we overnighted.

Day 2, the kids spent the morning spashing and swimming in 60 degree swimming hole, and warmed up at a fire (yes we followed all the Safe Swim rules, water was not moving). Then hiked and fished the rest of the day.

Day 3, packed out in a torrential downpour and drove down to the Yorktown, spending the night there.

Day 4, Oceanography on the Yorktown and the day exploring it, the sub, and the Medal of Honor museum.

Day 5, Left the Yorkown and drove back to Pisgah, overnighting at the Daniel Boone High Adventure Base. Hiked up to the top of Black Balsam Know (6312 feet) for sunset and then returned to camp.

Day 6, Drove home.

The kids loved it. Not only did they not complain once, but had the time of their life and learned a lot! Some great memories for them.

And before anyone starts in, not only were all rules for Cub Scouting followed, but it was approved by regional via a national tour permit.

Any vessel in the Historic Naval Ships Association's fleet is well worth it. I've been to the ALABAMA several times and worked the KIDD for a year. BRAVO ZULU to those vessels.

Now if only the State of NC could get its act together and allow overniters aboard the NORTH CAROLINA.

Pack,

If you reside in NC, there is some beauracratic infighting that is preventing the NORTH CAROLINA from overnighters. Best thing i could recommend is take you pack/den when they do their living history weekend, in October I believe, and campout at one of the scout camps in the area. I know camp Sam Hatcher is in the New Bern area.

No, we don't reside in NC, we are a Pack from Louisville, KY. Thanks for the information. After doing the Yorktown, I think we would want to overnight on a ship. The boys really did gain an appreciation of everything and grasp it better with the increased time onboard and the physical reality of sleeping onboard.