OA involvement with Cub Camping

I am posting this to see who out there has had involvement with OA helping out on Cub Scout Pack Overnighters.

If so how did they helpout and what kind of things did they do. I am thinking about trying to start this program back up and see what happens. Anybody got anyadvise on what I can do and some pointers to help out.

Thanks

SctDad

Ordeal 94

Our local lodge sponsors two Webelos-oriented events: Webelos Woods, a spring day at the local camp, and the Webelos Arrow of Light Weekend, a fall weekender for 2nd-year Webelos. After attending two of each, I can safely say that in general these events went over well with my two Webelos, however I've been bored out of my skull every time (so I suggest, come up with something for adults to do!).

Something specific: this fall's Arrow of Light Weekend was pretty good. It was moved to the local scout camp, and exposed about 250 2nd-year Webelos in the council to the camp, including one meal in the dining hall, and a campfire that included a pretty cool A/V presentation touting the camp. At the end of the weekend, every Webelos received a very nice patch and a pretty cool certificate that told them they are "fully-qualified to attend summer camp" at the scout camp. Corny, but cute. It was a not-too-veiled attempt at exposing them to what could be their summer camp next summer.

Our District used to have Cuboree every Fall. Now our Council holds Cub/Parent weekends at our Council camp so the individual District Cuborees are no more.

But, back in the day, our OA Chapter was a huge part of the Cuboree. The OA members ran the activities and cooked the pancake breakfast for all on Sunday morning.

When I was a Cubmaster, our Pack had an end of year Pack campout. OA guys helped with that too. I'm betting your OA Chapter would love to have an opportunity to provide cheerful service to your Cubs.

Thats what I am hoping.

We have our Fall Fellowship starting tonight. so I should be able to talk with a bunch of people from the chapter and see if there are soem of the young arrowman that would be interested in this program.

I ask all of this becuase it seems like some of the ideals of the past have gone to the wayside in recent years and I would like to see some of them return. I know that it is going to take some work, but I think that if I can get these young arrowman to remember why they do this, it moght be a good program.

Sctdad,

Once upon a time, I was told that our lodge had a major presence at all outdoor activities, including the CS ones. Now I don't know what happened council wide, but I know on the chapter level in my part of the council, the OA kinda burned out. We have been doign the basics in reference to our district Webeloree in running the TP and campfire. While we do have individual Arrowmen running events, it not coordinated by the chapter because we are still trying to rebuild.

Now the lodge is starting to get back into things with the rebirth of our AIA committee. We were asked to do the show at council camporee, we had some scouts put on performances at summercamp, and we had a small presence at Cub Family campout. Part of the challenge was that we got invited to participate at the Cub Family Campout abotu a month before it was scheduled. I've already talked to Tom about giving us some advance notice fro next year.

From my experience with another lodge, the OA can play a major role in CS events. One thing we did was set up a tomahawk toss for leaders, Boy Scouts, and Explorers (this was back in the day obviously). We had folks in regalia running the event and there was a huge line. Then again with 8000+ folks in attendance and three folks at a time throwing, that should have been expected :)

At that same event, the lodge did an arena show. grant you not the same quality as a jamboree or NOAC, but it was pretty awesome.

hope to meet ya tonight

In reference to the origianl question pertaining to Pack Overniters, I've had no experience with pack overniters. Troop campouts with Webelos along, yes, but pack overniters No. usually the Packs want the OA to do the AOL and Crossover Ceremonies. That being said, I have lent out chapter regalia to Arrowmen who were doing round ups.

Our council has run Cub Family Weekends for a few years now. They're very popular, but as far as I know, the OA lodge has nothing to do with them. They seem to mainly be handled by summer camp staffers who volunteer their time, and are run by the council program director/resident camp director (one guy, about 10 hats).

It seems to serve two purposes: (1) Giving Cubs an overnight experience, and (2) getting them psyched up for summer camp where the weekends are held. Seems like a perfect opportunity for the OA to get involved.