Baloo trained leader on a Boy Scout Campout?

Our Troop is hosting a Boy Scout/Webelos campout in May which will be attended by Webelos Scouts and their leaders/parents from three packs. The question has come up by one of the Den Leaders about whether they need to provide a Baloo trained person. I'm thinking Baloo isn't needed since this is a Boy Scout sponsored activity and not a Cub Scout campout.

Anyone have experience with this?

You only need a Baloo trained leader for a pack campout. It's not required for a den campout, and it's not required for a Boy Scout campout. You're clear.

When you think about it, the goal of Baloo training is to 1) make sure that you have some familiarity with camping, and 2) to make sure you plan age appropriate things. Neither of these goals would be advanced by requiring the dens to supply Baloo trained people.

Well, that's what I thought. Since the Tour Permit asks for the name of the Baloo Trained leader for a Pack campout, and the G2SS mentions it again for Pack campouts but says nothing in regards to Webelos Dens campouts or camping with a Troop, my take on it was that the Webelos coming camping with us do not need to bring a Baloo person.

But, our District Training Chairman tells me otherwise. He said anytime Cubs go camping they must have a Baloo trained person along. He did add, however, that if the Webelos coming with our Troop were 2nd years and no 1st years were in attendance then we wouldn't need the Baloo leader. Amazing!

Figuring that he was giving me misguided information (I've heard for many years people making a distinction in approved activities between 1st year Webelos and 2nd year Webelos), I called our Council and spoke to the DE in charge of organizing the Baloo training. He said no one had ever asked about Webelos camping with a Troop so he would check with the guy that actually does the training.

Ed, wouldn't make any difference. He's the same guy that tells people Scouts and Scouters have to be in uniform when traveling, the purpose of SM Conference and BOR is to retest Scouts, and that setting attendance requirements is OK for advancement.

Yep, sounds like the District Training Chair needs to go to training. BALOO training is only required for pack overnight camping. It's not specifically required for Webelos den camping--alhtough I think it'd be a really good idea.

Our council doesn't even have BALOO training. Instead they something called Leader Outdoor Experience (LOE) training. It's a superset of BALOO training and includes overnight camping.

Indeed it does sound like he needs training. BALOO is for Pack camping. There is a seperate course, Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders, that Webelos Den Leaders should take, but note that it only says "SHOULD". Also something to note is that on these campouts Webelos should not participate in activities designed for Boy Scouts acording to the Cub Scout Outdoor Program Guide.