Cabin Camping Cooking Ideas Needed

Actually, the trip went great. I showed up saturday at dinnertime to find that the firepit, which was far larger than I had anticipated was a long narrow bed of coals with a bunch of foil dinners beginning to cook. The scouts and webelo's got it together very quickly with no problems. In other words, my concerns were all for naught. It was easier cause one of the dad's made pulled pork and onion casserole for the dad's and a few scouts bailed out on the trip due to illness and other things, so only about 25-30 dinners were being cooked.

My son's patrol and another were responsible for the cracker barrel. Our guys made monkey bread in three dutch ovens. The other patrol made dutch oven nacho's. It looked pretty cool seeing a bunch of ovens stacked up on the coals.

Mmm...Mmm..good.

Now, what is Polish Trainwreck?

a "Trainwreck" is any jumbled mass of potatoes, meat, onions and veggies thrown into a dutch oven.

Polish Trainwreck is this and placed in the D.O. as shown 'taters on bottom

Kielbasa 2 lbs

Corn on the cob(if you are using a deep oven, if not soak it in water and roast in husk over fire)

Onions and a few carrots (I like onions)

Cabbage anywhere from 1/2 to a whole head

Potatoes 3-5 nice red ones

Add 2 quarts of water and cook for 40 minutes using equal heat top and bottom. If you don't like an ingredient cut back a little on it.

Taken from a book about the US Forest Svc.

Any discussion of foils dinners must include seasoning:

Chicken---Adobo My son would eat mud pies with adobo seasoning

Hamburger---Montreal steak salt