Used Patrol Cook Kits 4 Sale?

I have been given the opportunity to become the adult troop quartermaster. I did a quick check of the patrol boxes and found all boxes are missing lots of everything. I doubt we could put together two complete patrol cook kits from 6 patrol boxes.

At $75 for a new kit, I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and was willing to sell off their used partial kits to my troop. I figure if I can buy a few partial kits at 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of a new kit, we could back fill the missing pieces. The seller would have some money to buy new kits for their troop. Everybody wins!

I guess alternately we could try to sell off our partial kits to a troop and buy new ones for our boys.

I checked Ebay and only found one kit. It was only missing 1 cup and was priced under $10. Even with shipping, less than $20. Probably will put a bid on it and try to win to use for spares.

Any other ideas?

resqman,

easiest step...combine what you have then check with the scout shops for "open items pieces" to finish your sets...then buy 4 new ones...

or hit the thrift shops and yard sales, and Ebay for partial sets or even just regular pots and pans to give the boys....

In many cases you can make do....without "matching".

now for the soap box...

Where the heck is the troop quartermaster? He should have a written troop equipment inventory, (as well as be doing the inventory you just "did")....And he should have inventory control system in place; check-out/check-in forms, user lists, condition reports, repair reports...That's what the patch on his left arm means.

He should be doing periodic chuck box inspections- if something goes missing- he should be having the patrols replace it by the next campout or the end of the year at the latest (they (the scouts)are responcible for what they have lost...not the troop)...Adult equipment guys should mentor and guide the Scout QM -not do the work for him...or the troop.

In any event ...AFTER you have determined your course of action, all kits should be engraved (i.e., troop XXX kit 1,; kit 2,; kit 3,; Kit 4,; kit 5,; kit 6. That way "moms and dads" finding pots brought home, cause the lazy lads didn't want to get their hands dirty washing pots, know where it came from... and so your patrols don't mix and match.

Try not to use (engrave) patrol names on the pots...like "eagles" and "foxes" and "cobras"...patrol names sometimes do change...But if you simply number the chuck box (which can also have a patrol name painted on it) and "box 1" gets "cook set #1"...Then when the fry pan #6 (for "kitchen 6") ends up in "kitchen 2" you can inquire as to who picked up a wayward pan...and why.

BUT THIS IS SCOUTS WORK...you advise and assist and think...they should be doing "IT".

Adult equipment guy...not QM

Anarchist

anarchist- Normally I would agree with you on the "adult quartermaster" issue, but frankly this sounds like their system is broken. Once they have a handle on the situation, it is time for the troop quartermaster to take over with oversight from an assistant Scoutmaster.

That kit on eBay is a good deal- those bitty cups are really only good as measuring cups. I have found several bits and pieces of cook kits and chef kits in yard sales for cheap. I'm always picking up camping gear at yard sales and re-selling it to some of our disadvantaged youth.

Frankly, I'm of two minds on the cook kits. They are standardized, and they assemble neatly, and they are traditional. They are pricey though, and if you have boxes for bumper camping then you can use any sort of pot and pan set from a discount or thrift store. If you are backpacking, then as a kit, it is too much. The chef kits are way over-priced compared to discount/thrift store prices. The frying pans are about useless for actually frying meats, but are OK for simmering stuff like pre-cooked meals.

The big pot is great for backpacking when you are making a big pot of spaghetti or the like. It packs neatly on the end of my sleeping bag.

Ed

Yes, the existing troop equipment system is broken. Yes, I think the boys should be doing "IT". There is a work day tomorrow morning. I am not sure what kind of turnout to expect.

I joined the troop less than 2 months ago. I paid my fee and joined as adult. My goal was to have direct contact with the boys in an outdoor environment. My strong suit is field craft. The troop has a need to get the equipment under control. Troop leadership felt the adult quartermaster advisor should be someone who goes on campouts.

I talked with the ASM who has been given the task of being "The designated standin Scoutmaster" when the actual scoutmaster is not available. He felt the troop culture should change regarding equipment. He is willing to spend an extra hour or two at the end of each campout in the parking lot packing, repacking, organizing, and checking in gear in a ready to go state.

This obviously means creating a base inventory, back filling missing equipment, creating check out forms, check in forms, holding boys accountable, etc. I support all those ideas.

The troop is currently at the point where there is "some stuff in the scout closet and in the trailer." I pulled out a patrol box this afternoon. Apparently there were 6 cook kits at one time. The patrol box in question had pots, lids and fry pans from all six kits! I spent an hour and was able to sort out all the cook kits, touch up the painted numbers and make 4 mostly complete kits. Kits 1 and 6 are basically non-existent. I know a brand new kit was just bought for the NSP so that brings the total to 5 kits. I know we have at least 4 but maybe as many as 6 patrols.

It looks like most of the kits are "Open Country" made by Metal Ware Corporation. I have checked their website and some spares are available. Their new kit price is $15 less than the scout store. Add shipping but subtract tax probably about the same price. The scout store no longer carries spares, already called and asked.

Just wondering in any other troops were in a similar situation of having more missing than accounted for and wanted to sell off their spares?

My secret plan is to number and color code all the equipment in a patrol box. It is difficult to put a number on the handle of a platic serving spoon but you can easily wrap the handle with colored tape. Gall's.com sells reflective tape in eight different colors. First number all the boxes and as much equipment as feasible. Then additionally color code all equipment with reflective tape to make it easier to find in the dark in the leaves. A 2" square of spray paint on the outside of a stove with a number painted in the center should make ownership easy. Same thing on the outside of the patrol boxes, lanterns, etc.

I agree the patrol members should have to cover the cost of lost or damaged equipment. The problem is where to get the replacement parts without buying a complete set. Hoping someone had a lead on suppliers besides the scout store.

resqman,

Where to start?...First this is a perfect time to get the scouts to take ownership of the problem and I totally disagree with the implication that an adult needs to put things straight and THEN turn it over to the scout...(pure bull bisquets and cow dribble!) Let them do the work and search for answers while you make guiding (quiet) comments and suggestions. Remember if the boys can do it ADULTS DON'T!. If you do it they do not have to learn a thing! Mentor coach teach...but make them "DO".

As to colored tape on cooking tools...I ask you to consider sanitation at this piont -any tape on the utinsels is a place to harbor "nasties"...a simple vibrating engraver ($12-$15.00)will do a fine job...and most serving pieces and pancake flippers are "expendables" ($1.00 a piece) worry about the pots they are the expensive hard to replace pieces...

In our troop, we do not even consider the implements (large spoons, spatulas, kitchen knives etc) as troop equipment...The troop supplies pot and griddles stove lanterns tarps and chuck boxes but each patrol (as NSPs) purchases a bunch of "dollar store/thrift shop" kitchen utensils to use and lose...as part of their first campout supply shopping trip.

Start hangng out in thrift stores, yard sales and ebay ( or give your wife a shopping list if she is the "junker" in your family-my wife loves flea markets and has brought me so much gear for $1 and $2.00 that I have supplied most of the adults in our troop over the last 9 or 10 years)I have two complete patrol cook kits(for my personal camp kitchen) picked up a couple of pieces at a time at yard sales and flea markets...

But once more with feeling...Don't you do it...Let them find "the joy in doing it for themselves"...They might even take better care of the equipment once they realize what has happened.

Anarchist