He's going to Philmont!

Well Nephew decided he wants to be part of the council contigent for Philmont in 2008. So the deposit has been made and now I'm starting the shopping...are at least pricing.

He has an in-frame Backpack currently, about 5000 cubic inches, fits him fairly well. Should he have an external frame for Philmont or will this one likely be all right?

I'll buy him what he needs, but I don't want to replace equipment that will be fine. I know (or think I know) weight is a consideration. Also, he should have some small ditty bags for his "scentables". Is that correct?

Any other prep tips for the check writer? I'm figuring council will prolly send out info packets of some sort when the trek numbers are finalized...but I hate waiting, so figured I'd ask here for some hints while I wait.

Thank you so much for any help. One of the first things I'm buying is a lawnmower - a Scout earns his way...and this one has a lot to earn.

YiS

Michelle

Hold off on buying any gear right now. Your contingent will probably have a few meetings discussing what works/ what doesn't. Hopefully, the advisors will have experience with the Philmont way of doing things.

During the training hikes, he will get to see other gear in use and choose what he thinks he will need.

My son and I are going this summer with our OA contingent. Several of the advisors have been to Philmont numerous times and are a wealth of knowledge of what works, what doesn't. The Philmont packing list is a good place to start. For example, our contingent will be bringing our own tents and stoves because of previous experiences with the Philmont gear. I don't know if it is a well founded complaint, but who am I to decide? At NTiers, the supplied tents were fine, but one of our stoves never worked properly.

Yea, I wasn't going to actually start buying yet, but I like to do the shopping around, compare prices, get over "sticker shock". Right now all of the extra family cash is headed to the mouse place in Florida.

His SM (and the SM's wife) was on of the adults on the Council Contingent this past summer and will be going again next year, so I'm sure they will be a good source of what works & what doesn't.

Its just the compulsive part of my that made me ask.....

Thanks. :)

YiS

Michelle

Never been to Philmont. Always thought it would be neat to go sometime. In my far distant youth, my Troop went to Phil more than once (less crowded then, I guess. I opted for other adventures.

The older Scouts that went the first time brought back all the excellent tips for equipment (M4 surplus plywood pack boards, aluminum canteens, folding cook kits, all purpose plastic home-made tarp tents, nylon parachute cord rope,etc.) and methods (bolt your Yucca pack to the packboard thereby avoiding having to use the Diamond Hitch, multi use hiking staffs, foam pads instead of heavy airmattress) that we all immediately emulated. The Troop became known as the black plastic tarp tent Troop. Hey, infinitely adaptable, super light weight, when they have outlived their purpose, use 'em for ground cloth! 10' by 10',special duct tape around the edges and grommets set in the edges and corner and a reinforced center hole.

I found out (as my son has) that that big 5 D cell flash light is sure bright, but on the trail you can carry TWO AA lights (a spare is nice) or a headlight and a hand hold for much less weight and space.

Make sure he considers not what he'd like to have along, but what he really might need. If he's the fellow with the small roll of duct tape or extra shoe lace to help his buddy with, he could be a very popular fellow.

My sons Troop is # umpty ump on the Phil wait list, so they are considering a self outfitted trip to the Boundary Waters area. Canoes paddle blisters instead of heels?

Have Fun! YiS

I was at Philmont this past year (crew 7-31F), and I will second Gerns suggestion of holding off on buying gear for now. I would have your nephew work and save his bucks to go gear shopping in the spring of 2008. If he gets it now, it probably wont fit him then.

I would suggest not sparing any cost when it comes to personal wear, its too late to buy the good stuff when you're on day 2 or 3 out on the trail. For pants, I would have used the new SwitchBacks Scout pants had they been availible, but I made do with comparable pants from Gander Mt. 2 pairs of pants would do fine.

Performance underwear; dont send him with any cotton underwear, he'll be wearing a pair for 3-4 days between changes. I know this sounds gross, but a member of a crew usually only has space for 2-3 spare pairs in his pack. get Underarmour, it works and is offered with anti microbial treatment and does not chafe, it works...trust me I wore a pair of them for 4 days with no chafing or rashes.

Boots; get them at least 4 months before the trek so he can break them in while practicing with his crew. I prefer Vasque boots, I had no blisters with my pair.

Get GOOD hiking socks and polypro liners, again spend the bucks...his feet are ALL he can depend on to carry him at Philmont.

Do the layering thing! Have a pair of light weight polypro longies to sleep in and for wear if it gets cold (as it can even in August). Get a wool sweater or a fleece jacket for the warmth layer. A light weight wool shirt is a good item to have also, or the newer BSA activity shirt-long sleeved...it breathes and will keep him warm as well as cooler if worn alone.

A good breathable fabric QUALITY rainsuit that is packable or comes in a stuff sack....speaking of stuff sacks, he'll need to have a single medium size stuffer to use for his personal smellables to go up in the nightly bear-bag. He could make good use of a couple of other stuff sacks to sort out and keep his pack orderly ( one large bag for crew gear and several medium to small ones for personal gear) and the squeeze down packing bags for keeping clothing dry as well as minimized for size. These bags work by packing in the clothes, then rolling the bag to squeeze the air out.

A good hydration sysytem like a 2 qt Platypus brand will serve him well, a couple of Nalgenes too. A bowl, cup and spoon (all plastic) and he's set to eat.

A good wide brimmed hat....think Expedition hat that is sold in the Scout catalog, they are wool and have a sweatband as well as a chin strap...it gets windy sometimes, dont wanna chase a hat off the peak of Mt. Baldy.

I know this is getting long, so I'll finish (for now) by also reminding him to have a wool knit cap and gloves. Wool works and works even when wet. Again, leave the cotton stuff home or in the locker at basecamp,...well, a crew t-shirt are ok but they will be so dirty and smelly they'll hike by themselves by day 6.

Michelle,

High-quality boots and smartwool socks! He needs to wear them NOW, and get his legs used to the weight.

He also needs to start walking, lots, over the next year to condition his legs. The more used his legs are to walking (and walking hills if you have them), the less they'll hurt the first day or two on the trail.

Oh the dilemma!

I bought my trek boots last fall and already have many miles on them. But my 14 Yr-old son is gaining a shoe size every moon phase. Our trek starts July 1st. I think we will wait until early April before we buy his trek boots. Then hope our estimates on his size in July is accurate. That will give him three months to break in.

You people are great. I'm getting very helpful information and directions to point him in. I figure boots will probably be the single most expensive item I have to purchase for this trip...no Wal-Mart hikers for Philmont. My only hesitation with buying his boots for August, 2008 is that he is 13 and changes shoe size about every 4-6 months right now. Would six months out from trek date be enough time to break his Philmont boots in?

And what are smart wool socks and where does one buy them? Campmor? LLBean? Another favorite source?

Thanks a bunch

YiS

Michelle

Smart Wool:

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm

REI (Recreational Equipment, Incorporated) has them.

http://www.rei.com

Cabela's has them too

http://www.cabelas.com

Personally, I prefer REI to Cabelas :) , but I use both.

Specialty backpacking stores should have them as well.

Michelle, you and GB are both right about growth. I'd buy about 3 months out, and then have nephew break them in with alternate day wear for school and play.

Get him used to walking. Get his legs developed for both strength and endurance. Lots of walking, lots of weekend walking under load. The stronger his legs are, the better off he'll be :)

Oh... get him a digital camera. The memories will be a lifetime!

YIS John

A note on backpacks--a growing boy can outgrow those too. If possible, wait before investing in one, and make sure it fits really well. If possible, buy it from a local outfitter who can help you pick one that fits. For what it's worth, my son's internal frame pack worked well for him at Philmont.