Trip to USS Yorktown - looking for adventure on the way - going through Northern Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and home through Tennessee

You don't need to worry about getting sea sick on the Yorktown. When we were there, I got the impression that it was aground, surrounded by water, but not going anywhere at all.

Getting sea sick on the side trip to Fort Sumter, is a completely different story. Take dramamine, and then take some more.

We were there in July two years ago, only the theatre and sleeping areas are air conditioned. Any other place, we were standing still and sweat would just run off of you. Lost 15 pounds there.

Food was not good for our young men, Webelos. Out of four meals, only dinner got the thumbs up from them. Most of 'em wouldn't even try the grits that they served for breakfast. I ate them, due to the fact I was starving to death. There's no allowance for food allergies, four in our group was allergic to eggs and they were served both mornings for breakfast as the main item with no alternative. One piece a sausage and a piece of toast will not fill a boy up.

If you're a Coke product drinker, have some stored in coolers in your car, you won't find it on site. Pepsi only. :( No chocolate to be found anywhere either; we had to send out a messenger to Walmart to buy all of the ladies some. :) Our cubmaster was freaking out that we were bringing contraband in... good gosh... it was one big Hershey bar apiece, all the boys came out alive due to the calming effects of chocolate. The chocolate was sent for right after every single boy managed to vanish on us and it took us some hard looking to round them back up. Two had even wandered off to the submarine without telling anybody where they were going, the others were closer in.

I've written a book, enjoy your trip. :)

You're writing, of course, about Ellijay, right? Nah, just kidding, Helen, GA is a nice little town but as long as you're doing the tourist thing, might as well stop by the cabbage patch and see where those famous dolls are 'born'.

Aside from mini golf and a very lazy float down the Chattahoochee River, there's not much to do in Helen.

The laser light show at dusk at Stone Mountain is a crowd pleaser. The hike up the mountain is fun too.

Remember, the Ocoee River in Tennessee has white water rafting.

The details about inor things onboard like coke and pepsi shouldn't matter. Bring a cooler. The Ft. Sumter trip is well worth it.

That would be LaaaaayyyyZeeeeee. I quite agree. Don't forget that rather large stone carving on the big rock (Mt. Rushmore is a mole hill in comparison). Also, if you are lucky enough to hike up that thing during a thunderstorm you may get some wonderful close-up views of lightning strikes - it'll make you feel like dancin'. :)

• 2 months later...

About 1.5 hours south and west of Huntsville is the Bankhead National Forest. Has the 25000 acre Sipsey Wilderness Area ,some good hiking trails and if Sipsey River is flowing good you can float or canoe down it. I think there is a place you can rent canoes, Not far is Houston Recreation Area (Campground) on Lewis Smith Lake sometimes has some pretty good fishing. Check out http://www.warriormountains.com/ http://www.wilderness.org/WhereWeWork/Alabama/future.cfm http://www.wildsouth.org/ for info.

Frank6160,

Welcome to the forums! Thanks for that pointer, I may take a drive over there sometime to see. By the way (BTW), if you are wading around other areas of the forums, you may want to put on some tall boots. **It gets pretty deep at times. ;) But it's fun.:)