Bamboo Klondike Sled??

The Scouts want to build a lashed bamboo sled this year for Klondike. Has anyone seen plans for such an animal? When I search the internet, I find a design with a 1967 date, but little else that looks like it could be adapted to bamboo.

If anyone has experience with a bamboo sled or know of some plans, I would greatly appreciate it!

YIS,

Bill

SMT224,

think bamboo sled plans will be few, at least in this county...you might try some asian sites...

Without knowing where you are my advice is guarded...having recently 'finished' our district Klondike in the MUD, I am hesitant to say "lash up a sled"...while a great idea on the face- (I love lashing projects)...if you are having (as we do)a typical snowless Klondike, the tourque and drag on the sled will probably do a real number on the lashes- requiring many "pit stops" for "repairs".

So, if this will hurt your competitive chances or the 'spirit' of your sled crew, I would consider a traditional sled (or one of 'welded" pastic pipe....

I watched several seemingly well-built sleds 'come apart' under the load of their gear and the forces of "mud suction" and boy "jerking"...wheels or runners or even skis didn't seem to make a difference...even saw some tears...So be guided as much by the team "working" the sled as the handicaps you 'build' into it...

This is supposed to be fun! So if lashing makes it more fun go for it...if on the other hand, it will add to the frustration level...reconsider...give the guys the facts and let them run...

snowless klondiker

Anarchist

Try adapting "Ben Hunt's Klondike Sled Plan," which is a lashed sled. See The Inquiry Net:

http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/winter/gear/sleds/index.htm

"I made these drawings from a real honest-to-goodness Klondike sled brought here from Alaska. It is fastened together with both screws and rawhide lashings and is sturdy, yet flexible for rough going. Working from these drawings you can alter to suit conditions and materials and still retain the general lines. This sled was made of ash. Oak or birch will work equally well, and good net twine can be used for lashing and later treated with boiled linseed oil."

In Traditional Scouting, Scouts sometimes build a model of a pioneering project first to get an idea of how things might go together.

Be sure to send me a photo so I can add your bamboo sled to the collection!

Kudu

My son's patrol chose to drill into their sled's runners, in order to place upright poles. Then they used a skinny drill bit (I'm a Mom, I don't know the official names!)to drill into the sides of the runners. They poked twine into the side holes in order to be able to lash around the upright poles. I was really impressed! I never would have thought to do that. Their sled held up really well while others who also used lashings only, didn't do so well, since they lashed around the bottom of their runners. We also were very fortunate that after a month of no snow, we got 4 inches of snow the night before Klondike!

My son's troop always builds the rustic sleds, using fallen timber and lashings. They also have a tradition of burning the sled after Klondike is over. Since no metal is used, and it's just made of wood and twine, they are able to do this.

I don't know if bamboo would be strong enough to withstand drilling. Also, I don't know where you'd get bamboo. Our boys have fun searching through the woods to select the timber they want for their sled. We are fortunate to have several scouts who live in wooded areas.