Help Planning a Yellowstone Trip

I haven't been to Yellowstone, but I've been to Yosemite more times than I can count, so I have a little knowledge to pass on... Seeing as they are both national parks, I would assume they have the same backcountry permit process, which is that you place a call or send an email up to 24 weeks in advance for your desired trailhead.

I'm sure these numbers are posted on the Yellowstone website...

With Yosemite, many of the trailheads fill up within minutes of the 24 week time limit, so I would suggest you call ahead an ask the ranger about your selected trailhead and ask for recommendations on the best way to secure a permit.. might as well ask the source directly!

My son and I went to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons last year, June 2005. WHile it was onlu the two of us I may be able to help. As mentioned, the website is full of information and maps, but you will need a topo of your own as well. I looked over the trail selection and picked a shorter trail for the first overnight, less that 2 mile it said, it didnt say anything about the elevation change and almost forced a trail side overnight rather than one in the assigned campsite. WHen do you plan to go? What sort of transportation will you have and how 'READY" is your troop to do some backpacking?