Fall Camporee Advice

Question for those of you who help plan District events:

How much detail do you give out before-hand in regards to what the competition events will be?

We have 8 events (trying to do an "Amazing Race" theme). I've sent out an initial flyer listing the events by their generic titles - fire building, first aid, lashing, map & compass, scouting history, team building/problem solving, scavenger hunt, search & rescue.

Some of the complaints have been that this is too vague. At what point does it change from "information" to help them prepare for the events, and become "hand holding/spoon feeding", giving them all the details and taking any mystery out of it?

Thanks,

Gags

I've seen it done both ways. Sometimes, we've communicated almost every detail of the camporee activities. This gives the guys a chance to prepare exactly for what is in store for them. If you're going to have a bunch of younger troops there, this is a pretty good idea.

However, I've also known us to have camporees where only the vaguest of details are known. A "pioneering activity", a "fire building activity", etc. may be all that is known. I think this is more fun, but can be worrysome for younger scouts.