How to Save My Aging Backpack ?

I have a backpack that my father gave me that is approaching 20 years of age. I've noticed the nylon is starting to fade, but my bigger concern is that several of the zippers are starting to rust and getting hard to open.

Any tips from the wise on saving my aging backpack?

Boy, your lucky!! I'm trying to save my aging back!!

I'm not sure what can be done for the fabric. But you might want to give the zippers a good cleaning with a tooth brush that has been sprayed with WD40. Some nylon doesn't take it very well and then rubbing the zipper with a candle. Give it a good rub and then work the zipper a few times repeating till the zipper opens and closes with ease.

Hope this helps.

Eamonn.

My original backpack dates to 1971. It has lost the coating but it has nylon zipppers. Thanks for the tip on rejuvenating the metal zippers, though, that was really useful. I think the fabric, unless it has been damaged by sunlight, could last a very long time.

I have such great memories from using my old pack that I just can't part with it. H'mm, maybe I'll be cremated wearing it and my same-vintage boots. Have to die first, though.:)

But I'd sure like to rejuvenate the pack somehow and use it again. Great memories.

I still have the backpack I used as a scout in the '70s. It's an over 30 year old Wenzel, bright orange with blue pockets and cover. It's a great design, a good size and the pockets are just right. I used it last year taking my daughter on her first backpacking trip. The straps are on their last leg and the belt is really bad so I bought a new backpack this spring. I only looked at external frames; I really don't care for the internals. I ended up with a Kelty Tioga 5300. It's big, heavy and has their 50th anniversary suspension. It rides really nice and was great on our trip down the Grand Canyon last April. Other than that I really don't care for it. The pockets suck, there's only one that can hold a quart bottle and just barely. There's another one that's really long that I don't understand, maybe it's for packing a couple of bagets. With that funky frame style, there's no good way to attach the sleeping bag so it really needs to go in a compression bag and in the lower compartment. That leaves one big compartment for clothing, gear and food. What a waste of space. I'm tempted to buy new straps and belt. The BSA catalog has some. The Kelty sure rides nice though...

SWScouter(This message has been edited by SWScouter)

I am sentimentally attached to my backpack, tent and sleeping bag. All are nearly 30 years old.

The backpack is a Kelty Tioga framepack, and is in almost like new condition despite having been hauled around for 2500-3000 miles.

The tent is a Jan Sport Trail Wedge. It's weathered many a storm, and it is always the most weather beaten tent in camp. It looks its age, and I've had to replace three of the fiberglass poles over the years, but that just involves a trip to REI ---they are good about supplying replacements.

My prize sleeping bag is and Eddie Bauer down bag from the good old days when they made fine equipment. I've darned up a rare hole or two that leaked down, but generally it's in fine condition.

Now, about my boots.....

Seattle Pioneer

Tsk, tsk, tsk. We seem to be a little short on the gearhead mentality here. 8^)

Put the old pack in a place of honor, say, over your fireplace. Then go through all the catalogs and websites, and hit all the sporting goods stores in your region. At each stop, test at least three or four backpacks by loading them up with equipment and hiking around the store with them. Make sure you wear your favorite boots. Eventually, after returning to the stores a few times and having your new best friend (the sales clerk) over for dinner, you'll find a new pack. After two or three treks, there will be one little thing about the new pack you don't like, so you start the process over again. Eventually, you'll find a new pack you love (plus lots of other new equipment that "fits just right"). Your goal should be to hang the new one next to the old one in that place of honor -- in another thirty years.

Dan K