Has anyone takin their troop to the grand canyon like was in the last scouting magazine. The Havasu Tribe Trip

If anyone has done this, please PM me and give me more details as awe are trying to plan. Also, how would we get the gear out and all of that good stuff.

Thanks,

251scout

My troop does a trip for the scouts that are too young for philmont that includes some time spent at the GC. I have nothing to do with that trip so i cant tell you much, but i do know its a major headache to get camping permits for the basin because they dont let in groups that are larger then 8 or something.

Check out posts by cliffgolden and johnmbowen. These guys have some good advice regarding troop-planned high adventure trips. Cliff's troop has done a ton of stuff, here is there website:

http://members.tripod.com/~CGolden/troop33.htm

I don't see Grand Canyon on the list, but maybe you can find some information that will help you in your planning.

troop251scout,

If you want to go to Havasupai, like the troop in Scouting did, then all the contact info you need is in the magazine. If you want to go in the National Park, then you need to apply for permits through the National Park Service. There's good info on how to do this at http://www.nps.gov/grca/pphtml/permits.html and there's a lot of great info at http://www.kaibab.org

too. Like DugNevius said, group size is limited. If you plan to stay at the major backcountry campgrounds, e.g., Bright Angel CG or Indian Gardens CG, permits can be hard to get. Off the beaten path permits aren't too much trouble. You can't apply for a permit until four months before the month you plan to camp in.

As far as getting your gear there, that same issue of Scouting magazine has some reasonable advice.

I'm taking my 12 year old daughter down the canyon this coming Friday. We're really looking forward to it though she's getting tired of all the preparation we've been doing. I think we're ready though. We did a six mile hike this morning and she set a blistering pace the whole way, accellerating up the hills and just giving her old man a go of it. I'm pumped!

SWScouter

Oh, if you do make it to Havasupai, try to avoid the summer. Spring break time is good. I wouldn't want to go after Memorial Day weekend and even then may be pretty darn hot. The heat is a major issue when hiking, especially if you're not used to it. Along with my backcountry permits for hiking the Grand Canyon, the Park Service also sends a video about being prepared for the rigours of hiking the canyon. Several people are rescued every year from heat and dehydration problems. The video basically says to be prepared or there's a good chance you may die.

One more thing. It appears that Troop 166, featured in Scouting, didn't follow Safe Swim Defense. I'll just say it appears that way to me. If you go to Havasupai, you will want to be prepared to follow Safe Swim Defense while there.

SWScouter