Can anyone tell me from experience, the safest fuel to burn inside my one room cabin for HEAT with very little or even no ventilation?. Is Denatured Alchohol or Methyl Hydrate (wood alchohol) safe to burn in small coffee cans without having to worry about fumes or other hazards? In the Army years ago, during winter manuevers, I burned rubbing alchohol in a cracker can inside my two-man tent to stay warm while the flaps were closed without bothersome fumes, well, with the exception of minor eye irritation after hours of usage. But then again maybe the cracks or small openings in the tent was enough for ventilation. Thanks

Aside from the risk of incinerating your tent, burning anything consumes oxygen and produces fumes of varying toxicity. If it's cold enough to want to burn something for warmth, it's probably cold enough that the tent is also pretty well sealed. Bad situation.

I know Coleman sells those back cat ceramic heaters, but I'd never use one inside a sealed-up tent, especially while sleeping.

KS

There are special heaters made for use indoors without needing to install a chimney or outside vent.

Some of these are even designed for home use.

There are also some small catalytic heaters that are portable that seem to be safe for use indoors.

The key thing is you need to place the thing in a spot such that it won't burn the place down if it gets knocked over. You also need to have at least a bit of ventilation, just in case the thing doesn't work as advertised. If this cabin or yours isn't very well sealed, then it would probably be OK. If on the other hand it is sealed up pretty well, then you should probably crack a window or something.

However, there really isn't any fuel that is truly safe to burn in an open container in a closed room. They all use o2 and produce co2 and co. There is also the previously mentioned risk of fire.

If you are going to do this despite the safety issues some of us have mentioned, then go look for the type of alcohol made for those small stoves. That stuff is often used on galley stoves in sailboats and such places.

Again, make certain you use a product designed for this application, make certain to consider the fire risks, and think about your ventilation needs. Keeping warm isn't very useful if you burn alive or die from lack of oxygen.

You'll always need ventilation, regardless of the fuel being used.

For a one room cabin, either a sheepherder stove (woodburner), or a kerosine heater burning K-1 kerosine....I prefer the sheepherder burning oak or cherry, but never, ever charcol