Howdy all.

While at an auction today I stumbled onto a reflector oven. Been wanting one for some time and luck was with me. (no one there knew what it was)

Now, I am looking for tips, hints, care of, and recipes for the use of it. The troop has not used one in the many years that I have been with it and I am looking forward to introducing something new.

It is about 2 ft tall 2 and a half long with an expanded metal cooking level. Has a handle on the back for moving the oven. Reflecting surfaces are 24 gauge duct type metal.

Thanks in advance.

yis

You can cook most anything in a reflector that you would make in an oven at home. The thing to remember that makes reflector cooking different from other styles is that you need flames for your heat source. All other cooking styles do best with hot coals as they produce a more consistent heat, but a reflectors needs flames.

Also remember that you lose efficiency in colder weather. You have to deal with the delta factor, the amount of heat lost to the surrounding air. In colder weather it will require more heat and longer cooking times.

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Reflectors are interesting old beasts...(like lots of folks hanging out here). As B.W. said, needs flame or huge pile of hot coals. One really good trick is to set up a good fire with good bed of coals and prepare good pile of wood 'splits' (no bigger than two fingers square...like kindling...

Build a 'rotisserie' type set up about as tall as your reflector (when placed in its baking area). Your splits need to be long enough to standup and lean against the 'spit' on the rotisserie, on the hot coals, like you are building a plank fence 10-12 inches (some times 12-15 depending on temp you need). This arrangement will actually form a wall of flames and you can add splits as needed. A long rock (be careful) or a short log can also be used instead of the "rotisserie" setup.

You need to take care and watch your baking much more carefully than with a Dutch Oven and you may want to move the oven as needed to 'add or subtract' heat. The interior 'shine' also helps...keep it clean. tips- dutch oven or welders gloves and one of those old style all metal oven thermometers that sit on the rack will help you get where you want to go! Good luck whip up some sourdough starter today!

anarchist