Jamboree Security Traffic Jam.

Understandably security at the National Jamboree is going to be very tight. I am all for it, anything that keeps the Lads that attend and little old me safe is fine with me.

I have heard and don't know how true it is that this time the buses with the boys on board and the equipment which is normally in some sort of a truck (We use a furniture removal van) All have to report at the same time. In the past the truck was allowed to arrive as much as 24 hours ahead of the Scouts. The truck will be X-rayed and checked out before being allowed in.

This will not cause us too much of a problem as we can form a convoy of the two troops in two buses and the truck. It might be a little harder for troops that have their gear shipped ahead and then hire buses from the airport or where ever they are at. I think I remember reading that there was something like 550 troops attending. This seems to me like a giant traffic jam in the making.

One way of controlling it would be to give the troops a scheduled arrival time.

While no one would want to be last. I would sooner know when to arrive than sit on a bus with the Scouts who will be excited and keen to get this show on the road.

Eamonn

Yes its true as far as we know right now, all trucks and and possibly busses will be screened. It takes about 2 minutes to do one large truck. If they do busses you will have to unload all the passengers as the machine they use will really make you glow in the dark for sure.

Almost all Stateside Army installations have these units now. As a hint to all Leaders packing the trucks. Try and leave a path for them to walk up into the truck. If they see something on the machine they question, they may want to see what it is.

Are we sure of our facts here? I only have a passing knowledge of industrial radiology, but I can tell you it is not easy to Xray a truck. Actually X-ray would be a misnomer as the outside of the truck would have to be covered with film and a radioactive source previously placed in the truck released from its protective, shielding shell. Thus the radioactivity would actually be gamma, not X-ray. (Gamma comes form the nucleus of an atom, X-ray comes from the orbital electrons) Then the film would have to be removed, processed and studied. And that's going to take much longer than 2 minutes each.

I can see using all sorts of devices to search the trucks, but not xray

For the education of those who have not seen the devices the military is using let me explain it.

It is a truck mounted Gamma Ray device. The emitter is on a long arm like a power company boom truck. The truck to be scanned pulls into the area and after the driver exits the vehicle the truck drives down the side with the emitter arm up and over the vehicle. It takes about 2 min to travel the length of a normal Tractor trailer. In the scanner truck in a shielded

For the education of those who have not seen the devices the military is using let me explain it.

It is a truck mounted Gamma Ray device. The emitter is on a long arm like a power company boom truck. The truck to be scanned pulls into the area and after the driver exits the vehicle the truck drives down the side with the emitter arm up and over the vehicle. It takes about 2 min to travel the length od a normal Tractor trailer. In the scanner truck in a shielded

an operater sits there watching the screen. And let me tell you those boys don't miss much. Just about every week they catch a driver with contaband even after they are given an amnisty chance before they are scanned.

The guys running these do this all day long at the entrance to most military bases now so they know what to look for. They are supposed to have multiple units at AP Hill so things will kind of move along, I say Kind of. It will still cause bottl

nldscout,

So far, I have not been "blessed" with the message cut off demon. What might help you is to type your post in something like Notepad, then copy it and paste it into the message box here. I don't know if it would cut off a block of text like that or not. It is worth a try. Or are you just trying to keep us in suspense? ;)

I tried the cut and paste, didn't work either. Not sure what causes it. Does anyone have a clue?

The last on my message said that no matter what be prepared for a bottleneck at the entrance. Cause they are not planning on relaxing the rules.