Here's some interesting stuff to fan the flames of this fire.

From Guide to Safe Scouting.

"Two-deep leadership.

Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings. The chartered organization is responsible for ensuring that sufficient leadership is provided for all activities. "

To me that states you must have two leaders for all scout activities, whether it be troop, patrol, den, pack, or crew.

Personally if I was a SM I would never approve a patrol campout without adults. Now if a patrol wanted to camp within in shouting distance of a group of adults then no worries. But there should be adult supervision around in case of emergencies.

That quote is in the youth protection barriers to child abuse section of the G2SS. The stated purpose of the rule is for the protection of youth members and to protect adult leaders from false accusations. It refers to trips and outing in which adults are present.

In the Leadership Requirements for Trips and Outings section it says "There are a few instances, such as patrol activities, when no adult leadership is required."

The Scoutmaster may choose withhold permission for patrol campouts but a blanket ban seems a bit harsh. The Scoutmaster Handbook says the SM should allow a patrol campout only when "the Scoutmaster is satisfied that the activity is well within the patrol members' levels of training and responsibility."

Train them, trust them, let them lead.

I would go to your districts Round Table meeting and ask point blank what the policy is. Talk to your District Exective. It could be that something happened and the council simply does not want the libality. But I wouldn't take the word of the SM when he doesn't even know who said patrols can't camp.

Like when I started in Tigers. The CC at the time told us that ONLY THE COMMITTEE CHAIR WAS ALLOWED TO ATTEND ROUND TABLES. This was because she wanted to have total control. And knew if a couple of us ever got there she would lost control.

I was at the scout office one day and ran into someone and they ask me why I didn't come to RT. Told him what I had been told. His comment was

"I HAD BETTER SEE YOU THERE NEXT MONTH". I was there as were three other leaders. Within a month the CC had quit. We had a new CC, a training chair, and a new treasurer. Seems she was doing all the money also. Although there was no money missing, there were some questions about withdrawels and deposits. She wrote a personal check for popcorn. Took 3 months for the popcorn money to be deposited to the bank. Now all the money got there is was just strange.